Need to make my home worth less. Any tips?

by wouldacouldashoulda 46 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus100
    shamus100

Shit on the floor.

STart a grow-op

Start a fire.

Destroy everything.... may as well.

• Spook
    Spook

I don't know the story, so I won't automatically side with your soon-to-be-ex-wife, and also I think divorce laws tend to be biased against men, so I'll toss the dice.

The new appraisal environment is not open to much wiggle room. Short of actually doing easily repairable damage (break windows, remove elements that can be taken out, etc.) all you can really do is challenge the comparable properties used to derive your homes value. Be careful, the other posters are wrong! Cosmetic damage does not overly impact the appraisal of a home (dirt, debris, minor damage are all largely IGNORED!!!)

If you are going to have to sell your house, this will work against you. You should get an independant appraisal if you feel the value is unfairly high. Appraisers can be swayed - you at least want one who is going to be fare, one who is not IN THE POCKET OF YOUR WIFE'S ATTORNEY!

YOUR lawyer should challenge the appraisal with another official appraisal. If you don't have one, get a lawyer TODAY, the best one you can afford.

In divorce, the best case is to agree on a plan both parties find fair. This rarely happens and you are legally entitled to defend your rights and your concept of what you think is fair. If you don't, you could get royally screwed in this environment and wind up paying 50% on a value WELL above what you could actually sell it for.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

You're lucky your splitting assets. When I divorced, we got to split the debt 50/50.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

As a loan officer I have been approached many times by spouses looking to under value the property in order to produce a lopsided dispersment. Every time I tell them that whatever the appraisal says is what I go with. Anyone who is familiar with the process knows the new Hvcc rules completley dis-allow any interaction between the lender and the appraiser.

Also with a distraught ex and her attorney watching over everything, I would not risk my license. Man up and pay your ex half

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The most ethical way is to put off any needed repairs until after the assessment (works good for tax assessment, too). If you need a new roof, new paint, or new appliances, put the repairs off until after. If you are thinking of upgrading things, again put it off. The same for things like a new furnace, upgrading or replacing that air conditioner that is marginal, or putting in new anything major. There is nothing immoral about putting off repairs until after an assessment of this kind is finished.

What I would not recommend, however, is creating new problems (like blowing up part of the place, busting up any of the appliances, etc.) to make it worth less. Not only is this questionable, but it could actually cost you more to repair the damage than you will save in payments. I would stick with simply putting off any planned repairs and improvements, and possibly highlighting anything you can find that is existing problems.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I have seen circumstances that WTWiz suggested. That I can deal with. After all, unless one knows they are going to end up with the house, why dump money into it? You may have to do some minor repairs during the refi process but it usually isn't much. I had one client this month in this circumstance. The house got kinda run down. The lender directed him to enclose and strap the water heater, and trim back all shrubbery that was touching the house. Minor compared to all the repairs he put off.

• JeffT
    JeffT

You could just keep arguing about it until the lawyers end up with everything.

Based only on this thread it seems to me that she deserves a reward for putting up with you at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit