Other Points From the Annual Meeting

by jabberwock 32 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The even better, richer part of this, if it is in fact a change to the aforementioned practice and JWs actually start working in soup kitchens, etc., is that none of the active will care that this policy changed and they'll just see it as new light or as nothing that different at all.

Not true. They will care. They will do cartwheels and have big grins on their faces if WTS tells them to "count the time."
    WTS has been all about counting the time. Even when they do humanitarian work toward each other, pioneers are asking "Can I count the time for this?"

That alone should be a red flag on the question, "Is the Watchtower a cult?"

• Gayle
    Gayle

Showing love to our neighbors involvesmore than just the preaching work.

This is just a token lip service by the GB for organization "image" only.. Certainly, in fact, not emphasized. And when they do rarely, they sure toot their horn.

I do think most JWs would rather do humanitarian things than that empty, boring, unproductive door to door work.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I would in NO WAY expect soup kitchens or things of a general nature.

The "Habitat for Humanity" model (not just for houses but community projects in general) would be more likely since there is still the control of the Elder/MS in charge and the R&F will not get too friendly with the people and let down their guards. Remember, they are still "worldly" people.

Basically, work, stop for lunch, pray, work in the afternoon. We heard experience after experience of the work the brothers did after Hurricane Katrina. Hopefully, some local journalist or TV crew is made aware of the work and some good publicity is gained. An experience is given at the next assembly about how a study was started with a neighbor who saw all the work and how well things are organized. yada yada yada

Rub a Dub

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Frankly, the GB always says what it thinks it needs to say, regardless of principle. I expect hypocrisy.

It's too late to put the toothpaste in the tube. The only thing that would surprise me would be if they ever did the right thing for their sheep instead of their power.

• greenie
    greenie

OTWO - I guess I meant when I try to say, "See, you weren't doing this for 100 years. It's an obvious call to Christians. Preaching ISN'T the only work you should be doing." And I'll just be brushed off.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is just a fake, intended to bring more glory to themselves. Give only to further the interests of the cancer. Fix up homes, but with the implied stipulation that the recipient is indebted to joining. This is nothing more than another form of giving used-up crap to someone, and then hyping it up to make themselves look more generous than they actually are. The main thrust is still going to be getting children out in field circus at all hours, while getting everyone else to quit their jobs and pio-sneer.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They changed the meaning of the parable of the 10 virgins, and the Faithful steward to exclude the churches in the 80s.

They now apply it to the Borganisation after 1919, and those who left.

So this is no big surprise.

HB

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

HB - I didn't realize that. I thought it included the churchs.

This just reinforces the fact that very few are actually well versed on every teaching from the WTS. I thought I knew most of the stuff yet that slipped right by me.

Their takes are so confusing and contradictory at times that they can pretty much do what they want doctrinally as long as they don't drop the no hellfire, no eternal soul, no trinty and paradise on earth teachings. Beyond that, I think the average JW really doesn't care because its too complex.

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

OTWO - Do you have it on good source that they are considering "counting time" for doing good works?

Nothing ever gets done unless you can count the time. (Ex. - shepherding. doesnt get done. why? cant count the time)

Time counts for everything. Especially privileges and responsibilities. Every time there is any question about a brother, they always go back to the field service report.

So if that time is going to be counted, there is going to be a significant shift in brothers having responsiblity since they will now qualify. To me this would include brothers who really want to be of help to other people, not brothers who merely want position and authority.

Bring it on!

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

BTW- you're right. They will be doing cartwheels with grins on their faces if you can count the time. I wouldn't believe this could happen in a million years. But I thought that about the CBS too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit