What is the Biblical basis JWs are not allowed to 'witness' in churches?

by isaacaustin 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Wow just saw this arguement!! Geez!!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Isaac is correct, its not the possible translations that are in question, it is the interpretations and how it is used by the WT.

I don't know of any translator or bible commentary that equates "house-to-house" with "door-to-door" preaching, especially in light of the lack of evidence that it was a mode of preaching that was being used.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Rubadub,
    The ASV has acts 2 and 5 as "at home" in both cases, not sure what you mean...

I was referring to 2 and 20 actually ... sorry about that.

I just was doing a quick search and just noticed how different some other translations render those same verses differently from one chapter to the next.

Rub a Dub

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

It is probably half translations going one way and half the other RubaDub. But the issue here is what the WT asserts it means (without basis) and then demands of its followers.

There are several examples in the Bible showing teaching in the homes of beleivers, many. There is not one single example of the door to door work as done by the WT. Shouldn't scripture define scripture?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Isaac

Good thread!

I just sent you a PM and an email.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Thanks Dep, and also replied to you.

• dissed
    dissed

Preaching in Churches is now wrong?? What is the GB afraid of?

I grew up as a JW in a Religious University town that was very progressive. They were always calling the KH for guest JW speakers. Two of our local JW's became very good at speaking at their church and starting many Bible studies.

Even the Mormons invited them to speak at a religious study group.

At the end they always offered a formal individual Bible study. I personally knew several that became JW's from this method.

The only bad experience? At an Evanglical church, at the the appointed time, the Minister had everyone in the room stand like robots, and shout obscenities. Then they walked out, not the JW's, but the church members, even the minister!

One of the JW's said to the other, "should we turn the lights out and lock the door for them"

As they went outside to their car, the group now followed them shouting hateful obscenities. The minister stood back, with an approving smile. (sound familiar?)

One of the JW's thought they were demon possesed because of their extreme hatefulness and anger.

Incredibly, one of the 'hateful ones' contacted them later, studied, and became a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit