What is the Biblical basis JWs are not allowed to 'witness' in churches?

by isaacaustin 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

We know the book of Acts shows Paul doing just that. SInce the Wt claims to model itself off the 1st century Christians, why this change?

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

as i said on the other thread, times change and we move with the times. In pauls day things were different, we live in a completely different society now. When you take that into consideration it helps to see the bigger picture. We use to celebrate certain things that we knowlonger do, and sure enough within the next 10, 20 years if this system is still here no doubt there will be more changes. At present we do the door to door work yet in Jesus day they went from village to village....no mention they knocked on doors, in those days there proberbly wasnt the need, yet no adays more people are at home.

Some food for thought....

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Or I guess another question: SInce JWs can't go witness in other churches, what about online...let's say on a Catholic forum? Or a Jewish forum?

• villabolo
    villabolo

"SInce the Wt claims to model itself off the 1st century Christians, why this change?"

They are deathly afraid of their members having any exposure to anything different. As far as not following any Biblical precedence is concerned we all know that this is typical Watchtower double standards.

villabolo

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

AE said: as i said on the other thread, times change and we move with the times. In pauls day things were different, we live in a completely different society now. When you take that into consideration it helps to see the bigger picture.

My reply: Elaborate? This does not provide any answer nor is it food for thought. It is simply an assertion.

AE said: We use to celebrate certain things that we knowlonger do,

My reply: Irrelevant to my question. I am asking why the GB does not allow its members to follow a Biblical precedent. Holidays/B-days are specifically stated in Romans 14 to be up to the individual- the GB ignores that principle as well.

AE said: and sure enough within the next 10, 20 years if this system is still here no doubt there will be more changes.

My reply: I agree completely. CHange is the WTs middle name! Shows it is certainly not led by God's Spirit.

AE said: At present we do the door to door work yet in Jesus day they went from village to village....no mention they knocked on doors, in those days there proberbly wasnt the need, yet no adays more people are at home.

My reply: Wow. I agree there is no mention whatsoever in the Bible of knocking on doors. What an admission- one that goes directly against GB teaching! But fallacious as usualy. LESS AND LESS people are at home these days. More and more have to work. More and more do not like unexpected visits these days. It is a highly inefficient way to spread the message.

So again, what is the Biblical basis for the GBs deviation from the 1st century Christians going to churches to preach? You have simply made a baseless assertion that times change so it is ok. Is the bible outdated?

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

have to disagree......more people found when street witnessing/door to door work as so many have lost jobs, lots dont even want to work, and many are at home with families... wow we agreed on something.... :) Yet i havent gone and it doesnt go against the gb whatso ever, we change with the times...wherever we need to go to witness then we do. The end is near...no time to waste.

• snowbird
    snowbird

The prohibition? stems from 2 Corinthians 6.

2 Corinthians 6: 14 -18 Don't become partners with those who reject God. How can you make a partnership out of right and wrong? That's not partnership; that's war. Is light best friends with dark? Does Christ go strolling with the Devil? Do trust and mistrust hold hands? Who would think of setting up pagan idols in God's holy Temple? But that is exactly what we are, each of us a temple in whom God lives. God himself put it this way:

"I'll live in them, move into them;
    I'll be their God and they'll be my people.
    So leave the corruption and compromise;
    leave it for good," says God.
    "Don't link up with those who will pollute you.
    I want you all for myself.
    I'll be a Father to you;
    you'll be sons and daughters to me."
    The Word of the Master, God.

To my dying day, I will remember the hurt and confused look on the face of one of my fellow graduates when I refused, based on WT's interpretation of the above Scripture, to do the invocation at our one and only high school reunion.

I was such a fool!

Reading the entire chapter - nay, book - will show that the Apostle Paul was admonishing against fellowshipping with idol worshippers!

Sylvia

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Stating that the Bible does not contain precedent of the door to door ministry as done by the JWs today goes against what the GB asserts. Perhaps true at this moment with unmployment high. At the same time people do not generally like unexpected visits.

The end is near? Why do you say so? And if so, why not use a more efficient method?

But first, the Biblical basis for the GB deviation from the 1st century Christian example of preaching in other churches?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Exactly Snowbird, another case of WT eisogesis.

• highdose
    highdose

more people may well be at home... that dosn't mean they are answering the door! more likey they are hiding behind the sofa!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit