Non-Bible Believers: What verses still have value to you?

by Open mind 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Open mind
    Open mind

OK, if a Bible believer wants to join in too, please refrain from citing John 3:16 or verse like it that clearly call for a Christian perspective to be appreciated.

I'm looking for kernels of wisdom that transcend religions and the necessity of faith.

To get things started:

"Better is a dish of vegetables where there is love than a manger-fed bull and hatred along with it."

Proverbs 15:17 NWT

om

• cantleave
    cantleave

A lot of the Proverbs make a great deal of sense.

• undercover
    undercover

The first half of 1 Thess. 4:11

• Dagney
    Dagney

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Many of the Proverbs contain practical secular wisdom.

My favorite is Ecclesiates (Koheleth).

"For there is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit, so that there is no superiority of the man over the beast, for everything is vanity. All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust." -- Ecclesiates 3:19-20

• Spook
    Spook

"If the resurrection has not occured, then we of all people are most to be pitied."

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Great question and concept for a thread, Open! I quote the one you mentioned, too... I hate eating where there is tension and unrest. Much rather have a bargain meal and great company!

My favorite one: "Love is not jealous." (1 Cor. 13:4) This is so true and runs deep for me. True and abiding love does not feel threatened.

• freewilly01
    freewilly01

Not sure really if I believe this but this thought comes into mind after all those years and years of painful volunteering and timewasting, maybe someone did (godlike in the universe?) or wont forget that those hours and hours I did have some good intentions even though they were also motivated by selfish gain and acceptance of the Borg! frick who knows heb 6;10 (had to look it up on the internet, how quickly you forget)

God is not so unrighteous as to forget your work...............

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Do not give what is holy to dogs,

and do not throw your pearls before swine,

or they will trample them under their feet,

and turn and tear you to pieces. (Matthew 7:6)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"If the resurrection has not occured, then we of all people are most to be pitied."

I like that one. But really, I have read a bunch of eastern thought. It is just as valuable as Biblical thoughts.

The Bible is not the first, last, and only book of wise thoughts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit