Non-Bible Believers: What verses still have value to you?

by Open mind 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Heaven
    Heaven

1 Thessalonians 5:21: "Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good." -- KJV

• villabolo
    villabolo
    Ecclesiastes 3
    A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

OM: hmmm...well - interestingly enough, the Eygptian prayer to 42 Gods is quite reflective of the Ten Commandments...I'm not sure of the timing, but how interesting that Moses, supposedly raised in Pharoah's household, came up with something so...eerily close.

http://www.macroknow.com/books/philosophy/religion.htm

ANCIENT EGYPTIAN THE JUDGMENT OF THE DEAD
    THE DECLARATION TO THE FORTY-TWO GODS

" O Wide-of-stride who comes from On: I have not done evil.
    . . . I have not robbed.
    . . . I have not coveted.
    . . . I have not stolen.
    . . . I have not killed people.
    . . . I have not trimmed the measure.
    . . . I have not cheated.
    . . . I have not told lies.. .
    . . . I have not committed adultery.
    . . . I have not copulated with a boy.. .
    . . . I have not cursed a god.. . "

• Open mind
    Open mind

VERY interesting georgiegirl.

I did a little Googling but wasn't able to find any site that looked particularly authoritative.

I wonder if Leolaia or Narkissos (two of my favorite JWN demi-gods) knows anything about this?

I would LOVE to be able to casually mention to Brother Smug, "You know, that 'Thou Shalt Not Covet' isn't really that Biblically exclusive after all."

om

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

GeorgieGirl can you tell us where you got those quotes so I can get more information. On some of the quotes you don't even list a book and with the ones that you do give a book you don't say where exactly in those books that particularly quote can be found. I know for a fact the Hadith was written hundreds of years after the new testament so that makes me question everything else in your post.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Hey Blue Grass - (editing this post after I re-read your question and then calmed down a bit)

See my post below for books for you to examine for yourself.

• donny
    donny

One of my favorites.

Ezekiel 23:19,20:
    "Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Ok, I lied. The tone of your post pissed me off so much I went and found it tonight. This is from research that I did for a class on religions at college. These are all books you can get find and read; I have access to alot of material through my university's online research library.

World Scripture: A Comparative Anthology of Sacred Texts by International Religious Foundation (Author, Editor), Andrew Wilson

(This is one I quote from in my paper and that I have).

Others that I quoted but do not own:

Other One Heart: Universal Wisdom from the World's Scriptures by Bonnie Louise Kuchler

Jesus, Krishna, Buddha and Lao Tzu: The Parallel Sayings (The Common Teachings of Four World Religions) by Richard Hooper

Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings by Marcus Borg (Editor), Jack Kornfield

God's Breath: Sacred Scriptures of the World -- The Essential Texts of Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Suf (Paperback)
    by John Miller (Author), Aaron Kenedi (Author), Thomas Moore

I even looked them up for you; you can find them all on Amazon.

Hope this helps in your search; you'll find I rarely just throw stuff out there. AND if I don't know the background, I'll state that as I did in the thread you clearly did not thoroughly read before impugning me.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

"A live dog is better than a dead lion"

Can't recall where. Don't care where actually. Good thought though.

Jeff

• beksbks
    beksbks

Absolutely the only bit I give a hoot about

2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit