New Light: Don't hold hands during prayers

by RR 104 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

I’m telling yeah these so called faithful and discreet slaves are real freaks, they never cease amazing me with their bull shit, and all the cone heads keep listening to it and heeding what they say, they deserve what they get.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Sorry holding hands for married couple was ruled just about okay, but no embracing for God's sake.
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands, but if they embraced each other during public prayer, those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. They might think or get the impression that the couple was focusing on their romantic relationship instead of reverence for Jehovah.

Simce marriage is viewed as a threefold cord, holding hands / embracing should symbolize a couple's coming together with Jehovah as a threesome. Nothing wrong with that =)

• Sabin
    Sabin

They don't say a husband & wife cant hold hands, they are just asking them to do so discreetly. I get this, my husband & I are very touchy feely couple, I'm always being hugged & kissed & boy have we had some hassel with sister's who's husbands would rather go door banging then be at home with them. They used to think it was their God given right to hold my husbands hand if they could. It used to drive me insane, & I wasn't having any of it. Then of course there was the situation of having 2 beautiful teenage daughters who were told in no uncertain terms the only man to hold their hands were their papa. Some of the older brothers are creepy, married & not happy to be with their older wife, used it as an excuse to get close to the younger sisters. We had one in the cong 50 years chasing around a beautiful 18 year old sis. It got so bad that the police had to get involved. Nope I'm afraid I'm all for the keep your God dam hands to yourself unless your married to the person or it's your own children. Sorry folk's.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

Sabin-

I have no issue with your post about holding hands with non-family members, but they are going a bit far to say that married couples should hold hands discreetly. First, how would you not hold hands discreetly? Maybe you would hold them high up in the air like you just crossed a finish line or won a medal?

They are also taking it a bit far to say that embracing during a prayer is wrong. Why shouldn't I be close to my spouse during a prayer to my Father? He's the creator of marriage right?

-TL

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    Well I would hold my wife's hand but I can't. I'm a very successful Hand Model. I can't even wash the dishes in my home unless we are using Joy Detergent. I have to be prudent when I'm with company. Sometimes they want to shake my hand. The French like to kiss them. Sometimes when I'm dining at Colonel Sanders, the guest stare at my fingers and think that they're finger licking good.
  • Listener
    Listener

The reason given is so that that another person is not shocked, stumbled or distracted. The whole article should have been written to those that would view it this way telling them to just get over it.

Why do I suspect that Anthony Morris iii is behind this? He says he doesn't like looking at men in tight pants either.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    The sad part is that you had JW's embracing during prayer for decades and decades without anybody saying anything as far as anybody knew until this article came out and wham! that was the end of that. Now, no one can do that ever again globally. Shameful.
  • rege  brazzy
    rege brazzy
    in a past study (I suppose 7 years ago, i read it)
  • Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"This might offend or distract some, including visitors who do not share our beliefs"

My comment would be: I am so sick and tired of everyone getting offending over everything. To hell with everyone who gets offended.

Or to those who still go, make this comment: "This kind of counsel and instruction stumbles me and thus I will not be returning".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit