Chicago? Rio? Madrid?

by VIII 44 Replies latest social current

• VIII
    VIII

OTWO, thanks. You are correct on all points. I am emotional on it. I love the city so much and want to see it recognized. At the same time Gregor is correct, as you are, with the patronage and corruption. Taxes are so high already, it is crazy. I go in to visit and see stuff and go back to the 'Burbs to buy it.

• milola
    milola

UH Just a thought....won't it be winter in Rio when the Summer games get played? Or is that a always warm area? Sorry my geography sucks and I don't want to look up a world map to see how close to the equator it is.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Situated in the tropical South Atlantic, Rio de Janeiro is warm all year round. Summers, between November and March, are very hot and humid. Winters are cool and dry, never cold, with some precipitation, lasting only from June to September.

The 2000 Olympics in Sydney were held in August to accomodate the Northern Hemisphere's idea of Summer.
    I am sure it will be similar in Rio. They are better off in the cooler months there.

What would be awesome for the United States would be a federal effort behind the games (federal money) and hosting it at San Juan, Puerto Rico or Honolulu, Hawaii.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Ole! for South America!!!!!!

It's about time they got some recognition. South America. An entire amazing continent. Finally an Olympics for them(us).

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Chicago Politicians Blame Bush

"There must be" resentment against America, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said, near the stage where he had hoped to give a victory speech in Daley Center Plaza. "The way we [refused to sign] the Kyoto Treaty, we misled the world into Iraq. The world had a very bad taste in its mouth about us. But there was such a turnaround after last November. The world now feels better about America and about Americans. That's why I thought the president's going was the deal-maker."
    State Rep. Susana Mendoza (D-Chicago) said she saw firsthand the resentment against America five years ago when she was in Rio de Janeiro. "I feel in my gut that this vote today was political and mean-spirited," she said.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1804170,CST-NWS-olyresent03.article

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit