Chicago? Rio? Madrid?

by VIII 44 Replies latest social current

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Who cares? About a week ago NPR was talking about the fact that Olympics are usually a financial burden, anyway, with the benefits not outweighing the costs to the hosting cities.

• VIII
    VIII

Yes, the politicians are corrupt. That is without a doubt and cannot be disputed. Pull up *corruption* on the Trib or SunTimes web sites and you'll be amazed at the number of politicians and cops that go to jail for it.

Anyone who lives here (within the metro area) acknowledges it. I grew up in Rahm's ward. The one he was awarded.

Contracts are awarded. Jobs are awarded. Everything is based on who you know and what you've done for them.

That does not take away from the beauty of the city and the attractions.

Just don't get pulled over. You'll have to pay off someone to get out of jail.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was in Beijing four years before the Olympics and they were already tearing down much of the city and rebuilding it to "clean it up" (I never saw so many cranes in all my life). I wonder what will happen to Rio and its slums in the next few years.

• VIII
    VIII

Many Chicagoans cared because it would have put Chicago on the international map as a destination for more tourism. Right now we get US tourism. International tourism would be fantastic. Similar to LA and New York. We get some because of the airport and the buildings, however, having the Olympics would really give the city visibility.

Other than visibility as being the most corrupt city in the most corrupt state.

And tourism brings in dollars. Dollars mean jobs.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Many Chicagoans cared because it would have put Chicago on the international map as a destination for more tourism. Right now we get US tourism. International tourism would be fantastic.

I think a hurdle would be the fact that Chicago is in the middle of the country, in the middle of "no where," respectfully speaking. What does Chicago have that can compare to the geographic variety of southern CA, or the center-of-the-world feeling of NYC? I'm not trying to denigrate Chicagoans or whatever, just expressing the fact that I find it doubtful Chicago can ever really be an internation destination. Coastal cities will always come first, in my opinion.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Other than visibility as being the most corrupt city in the most corrupt state.

Come onnnn, Jersey must be giving you some competition?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Dollars mean jobs.

That's the point. In Chicago that means UNIONS and PATRONAGE. The unconnected, unemployed would never see a dime of it. In fact they might have lost their sudsidized squat to make way for the developer$ and politician$

• beksbks
    beksbks

Leo, I was in Beijing in summer of '06. I found it rather depressing that they were wiping out so much history to replace it with glass and steel.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Dollars mean jobs.

It's not as simple as that. The city would have to pay an enormous sum to get the proper infrastructure and civic spaces in place. Sure, it would create short term work, but at a huge cost to taxpayers in the long-term.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They spent about $50 million to try this time and started in 2008 with this bid, so hopefully they will do it again.

As a Chicago taxpayer, I am certain that we DID come out losing on this and would have lost more and more if it came here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit