Chicago? Rio? Madrid?

by VIII 44 Replies latest social current

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I suspect they're going to be held in Rio, given the fact that South America has never held them before. I don't really see it as a blow to Obama. Every nation in the running had their leader present, pleading it's case. All but one will be disappointed. It would've worse for Obama if he hadn't tried at all.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

Sorry VIII! I wanted Rio but I didn't expect Chicago to be eliminated in the 1st round. Esp. with Obama flying over there. Wow.

• VIII
    VIII

Thanks!

On the Chicago Trib web site, the have a live feed from the Daley Plaza which is downtown (named for the first Mayor Daley, current Mayor's Dad).

People were looking at all the jobs (in spite of neopotism and graft) the Olympics would create. Plus the tourism and ongoing money that would bring in.

Here is a cut and paste:

The Daley Plaza crowd reacted to Chicago's elimination in silence. Some members of the crowd were crying as they walked away. People blamed negative media attention on the bid and former Chicago Bulls star Michael Jordan's lack of participation as reasons for the loss.

"We weren't unified as a city. We didn't get behind this enough," said Rob Fox of Chicago.

"Michael Jordan didn't show up," said Margaret Johnson of Chicago. "His city asked him for help and he turned his back on us."

• kurtbethel
  • VIII
    VIII

And you thought the gangs in Chicago were bad.

Wait til you have to beat off the gangs in Rio.

Ah, well. There is always 3016.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

There's gonna be a party in Rio!

• beksbks
    beksbks

I love Chicago! We considered moving there at one point. It's a gorgeous city. It looks so amazing from the air too, the way it's perched on the edge of the lake.

I'm pretty sure the events actually end up generating money for the area. I mean all that money being spent, is staying here. That kind of spending is good. For every dollar spent on infrastructure, it generates 1.59 in economic activity. Seems like this would be considered infrastructure. Plus all the visitors coming in and spending in local establishments.

• VIII
    VIII

Chicago is a wonderful city. There are so many great attractions (zoos (2) and museums, sports, the lake shore, shopping). Plus the skyscrapers. I love driving in just to look at the skyline.

If you ever have the chance to visit and sitesee in Chicago, I highly recommed it. If you know someone who lives there and can help you visit and sitesee, do it. It is a great cultural experience.

I am happy Oprah, Obama and Michelle and every other celebrity and sports figure did what they did to help the Olympic bid. I hope the city comes together and trys again. They spent about $50 million to try this time and started in 2008 with this bid, so hopefully they will do it again.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

What does it say about conservatives that they're happy our country lost to Rio?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/02/conservatives-revel-in-ob_n_307794.html

• Gregor
    Gregor

I think it says conservatives could care less about whether the most corrupt city in the most corrupt state in the US loses a chance at a big fat juicy Olympics to exploit. But we are VERY pleased to see Obama diminished once again. He is not good for this country. We are pulling for the United States of America and he is obviously a handicap with his continual fails, apologies for his country and weakness in leadership. Simple.

(Huffington Post? you can't be serious)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit