An Elder wrote anomously...

by Butterflyleia85 81 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Why are people getting so snarky on this thread?

I agree bluecanary.

I understand some attempts at troll sniffing? But who gave anyone that job? And why on this thread? Just read the post all the way through....

Thats why we have mods... and meds.... Everyone just chill.... Trolls have a way of coming out of their caves rather spectacularly, right? Otherwise, its just the internet. It's just JWN. No need to defend the honor of an internet discussion board dedicated to the history and goings on of a relatively small religious fringe group.

Btw, I tried at 3 libraries to check out CoC and no libraries in Michigan had it. I had to read chapters of it online. I finally ordered it off Amazon.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

butterfly: Ray Franz's book is worth the money, if you search around I think you can get it around $20-30. It's well written and good to own rather than having to return it to a library. I understand not wanting to spend the cash on "a book" but trust me it's worth it. It is a sad book in a way and reveals much about the organization and the procedures of the leaders. You can find it on the net as I've seen it online but didn't bookmark it. Much what Ray has to say, you'll learn in your own research anyways so much won't be a revelation to you once you read it. I would guess that many of us are thankful that Ray wrote the book in a manner he did, and the flow of the book is such that reading it is not a bore or hard to follow unlike the Proclaimers book.

I also enjoyed the letter from the elder as it shows that he is waking up to see wts for what it is even though it appears that he is limited in knowledge of much of wts's dealings. I agree with his view on web sites as some detract from the message when they appear messy and all over the place but many are just individuals trying to state their view at the time when they realized they were decieved and still bitter about their wts experience. Sites like freeminds are better executed and managed sites but that's more like comparing wts.org site to freeminds and some other jw apolagist site to some other ex site quickly put together by a new exjw. That is also why many of those xjw sites don't get updated. Likewise you'll find some misinformation on these sort of sites as to wts and it's history.

As for videos, the letter also makes a good point that presentation is important. If you have a religious video and one speaker looked like jw and another one like a gang member from the ghetto who would you take more seriously? That's why wts sell they crap by making sure their people look presentable at the doors. An appearance makes a first impression and it will sway the vote if to give a speaker a chance or reject the speaker before he even opens his mouth.

• dissed
    dissed

ATJ

We had exactly the same experience with COC. Waiting right now for it to come from Amazon. And by the way, we went to Borders in our town and they not only didn't have it but had no anti-JW cult stuff, nada. But they had Mormon, Catholic, etc...etc...

Me thinks a JW must work at the store and makes sure nothing is on the shelf. Or, they can't keep it in stock, because of all the interest, which I doubt.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Me thinks a JW must work at the store and makes sure nothing is on the shelf. Or, they can't keep it in stock, because of all the interest, which I doubt.

I think many former JW's are under the illusion that because that book is important, that it is popular. It isn't popular, and it doesn't sell well enough to be stocked in most book stores....

It is important, and has never been disproven factualy. Most other mainstream religions keep it on their bookshelves for their churches and leaders.

But book stores are all about $$$. Again, JW's are small time to the rest of the world. The book simply doesn't sell, and it likely has poor distribution because the company is a small company, with no tie in's to the major book stores of the country.

To those of us who left and had JW's dominate our lives, CoC was a godsend.

But frankly, Ray Franz's books, while well written and factual, are looooooong. Only JW's are going to find this interesting. If you were never a JW, and you know they are a nutty cult, you don't really need to read CoC.

Anyone else I think outside of religious acadamia would probably rather read War and Peace.

• parakeet
    parakeet

"So be honest with yourself. Are you really doing the right thing by denying the truth? What impression does that leave with those who are on the fence about joining us in preaching the good news? Is it not better to remain silent than to deny the truth?.....

....."I suggest that if you want to run a successful anti-Watchtower website you use the examples of this one (www.Ex-JW.com) or Randall Watters’ www.FreeMinds.org .

First he condemns us for denying the "truth" and influencing others away from it. Then he makes recommendations on how to run a "successful anti-Watchtower website." Ambivalent doesn't begin to describe this guy, assuming he is who he claims to be.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sitting on the Fence..

Always leaves a Mark on your Ass..

Moony 1

................................OUTLAW

• Spook
    Spook
    At one time or another I’ve probably seen most of the so-called “apostate” websites. I have to say that by far the majority of them are junk – poorly written, angry, and ridiculous.

I'm an atheist and I have to agree with this. The attacks of other religions upon Jehovah's Witnesses are cannon fodder for those who prefer to be dismissive.

Unfortunately, a great many witnesses are incredibly stupid. Well written articles (Alan F had many of these) are beyond the comprehension of many of them.

The bottom line has always been that the leaders of the religion have no evidence for their purported authority. It must be taken on faith that they occupy such a position. Most of their doctrines have as bad or worse support in the texts than those of other religions. The response to disagreement is - in itself - adequate evidence that no god would use such men.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I think the "truth" needs a bit more than fine-tuning LMAO

• Open mind
    Open mind

I always wondered what would happen if Neo (Matrix Movie) swallowed both the Red & Blue pills simultaneously.

Now I know!

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Their claim concerning 1919 is what disproves that they are the appointed faithful slave. Jusat examine their history from 1887 to 1919 and the so-called test that they underwent and failed. Everything else is moot.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit