You are Still Special After Exiting the Witnesses-You Have a Purpose in Life

by flipper 57 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

After leaving the the Watchtower I remember having the distinct feeling that I should be telling people something. I didn't have anything to say anymore but there was a void where the preaching activity had been. Fortunately the void went away pretty quickly. I have my own beliefs now but don't feel the need to push them on anyone. I no longer believe that there is a god who is going kill everyone who doesn't believe as I do so I guess I don't feel special at least in that sense.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

flipper

I enjoyed your thread - it shows that you're a caring, compassionate person.

About 6 weeks ago leavingwt encouraged me to read both Steven Hassan's books, which I did. They should be a must-read for all considering leaving JWs, faders, or those (like me) trying to help loved ones quit the cult. Releasing the Bonds is quite an expensive book in the UK, but if just 1 or 2 chapters contain the necessary hepful advice, money well spent!

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Thanks Flipper!!! Well timed for all us newbies :)

• flipper
    flipper

OUTLAW- Yeah, I know buddy ! My mission in life is to re-educate and instill in ex-JW's minds and re-program them that they AREN'T failures - like the GB told us all ! I know it's against the tide- but what the hell ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

ZOIKS- Thanks, I appreciate it !

BELIEVING XJW- I think you'll really enjoy Steve Hassan's books. Especially " Releasing the Bonds" because it discusses Jehovah's Witnesses in there who have been rescued from mind control.

BLUECANARY- Thanks ! Appreciate it.

TEELA 2 - I'm so glad you are doing well ! And getting your degree, and tending a garden, and having great friends. That's what I'm talking about ! Moving on in life ! Good for you !

I QUIT- I am glad that you are feeling more relaxed in life without the pressure to have to say anything to people. It is a great feeling to live our lives and not be made to feel guilty about anything.

LIFELONG HUMANIST- I am very glad that you've benefitted from Hassan's books ! I did as well. It really helped me to move on and see how I was able to be taken in by mind control. I too feel it is a must read for every exiting witness. For sure.

WANTSTOLEAVE- You are very welcome ! We all need to get educated after exiting the cult

• flipper
    flipper

Just wanted to bump this up if some hadn't seen it. Might help you view things a bit more positively if you are feeling down. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Flippper..

Thinks everyone..

Should have a Porpoise in life..

.......................................OUTLAW

• boyzone
    boyzone

Outlaw! You crack me up!!! Love your posts (and yours too Mr Flip xx)

• flipper
    flipper

OUTLAW- You betcha buddy ! I'd love to be everybodie's porpoise ( but Mrs. Flipper wouldn't like it ! ) LOL! But yeah, really it's good for people to know what they wanna do with their lives . And if they don't know- hell, they'll find out or discover it along the way ! Life is a journey to be experienced for sure

BOYZONE- Thank you very much ! I enjoy your posts as well BOYZONE- you have great takes on things ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• finding my way
    finding my way

Thank you Flipper :0)

I've been reading post after post the last few days. I feel like I already know some of you ;) Finally got registered and I'm excited to start making new friends that understand!

I have many friends that weren't raised as witnesses like I was but whenever I have a down day because I have a horrible, now nonexistent relationship with my Mother because of the religion, or I'm feeling confused about how to raise my unborn child now that I have no set in stone "beliefs", it's hard to talk to people who just don't understand as much as they would like to.

I decided less than a year ago to get to the bottom of why I didn't feel motivated to request reinstatment. I went to a counselor, who sort of helped... and I stumbled upon Crisis of Conscience and In search of Christian Freedom right away. I'm still reading the latter ( I took a break because I got pregnant and started reading tons of baby books :) I'll add this new book to my list.

My decision was pretty much made after the first book. Now I'm just going through the "what if I'm wrong?"(I only sometimes feel this way) and the "what in the world do I do now?" phases.

Looking forward to talking with all of you. Nice to meet you.

~FMW

• flipper
    flipper

FINDING MY WAY- Welcome to the board my friend. I'm glad to hear you are moving on with life after exiting the witnesses. That is excellent you have read Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom. What might help you with your questions of " What if I'm wrong ? " or " What in the World Do I Do Now ? " would be to read " Combatting Cult Mind Control " & " Releasing the Bonds - Empowering People to think for Themselves " by Steve Hassan. I highly recommend reading those books to anybody exiting Jehovah's Witnesses . Those books ( and the ones you mentioned ) really helped me to focus on HOW the JW's were able to control me by mind control. Once I understood that- I felt much greater in my self esteem and ability to assist others and assist myself to find purpose in life !

I'm sorry you are going through shunning by your mom. I know it's tough. My 2 JW daughters 22 and 21 both shun me as well. But hang in there friend ! All we can do is try to show authentic caring toward them still- and avoid arguing JW doctrine with them, as it goes nowhere usually and they close their minds up. I wish you the best with your upcoming newborn baby ! I hope everything goes smoothly and he or she is healthy and happy ! With a loving mom like yourself- I'm sure your baby will do just fine. Good luck to you and look forward to your posts on the board ! You are among friends

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit