If you pray, do you say 'Jehovah'...?

by wantstoleave 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I called my parents mom and dad. If I'm in court I call the judge 'your honour'. I don't presume to be on a first name basis with someone who has authority over me.

Even when I am on a first name basis with someone, I won't knowingly and deliberately keep mispronouncing their name. It can only serve to irritate them.

W

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

hmmmm, can't see my post.

edit: better now.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Jesus is our "Eternal Father" (Isaiah 9:6-7) and Stephen prayed directly to Jesus before Stephen was killed (Acts 7:59). I pray this way: Eternal Father and Sovereign Lord ... in Jesus name I pray. Amen."

The name JEHOVAH is not God's true name.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Its funny, one of the conversations I have with a bethel elder was about the term Jehovah and after some discussion he indeed did admiit that Jehovah is NOT God's name, or at least how it is pronunced in ANY fashion, but he said, it is the name the all associate with the God of the OT and THAT is the God was as JW's want to be associated with.

I sort of blinked because, well, not only is the OT/Old covenant obsolete, but even if it wasn't, only JEWS would be accpeted anyways !!

Not only that, it seemed to place Jesus and the NC into a "back seat".

When I mentioned that to him he said that Jesus has his role, just not higher or more important than Jehovah.

It understood then that, at least this elder, had no notion of the New Covenant at all, at least not Jesus's role in it, nor did he truly understand the relationship between God, Jesus and the HS.

• 2pink
    2pink

i am also in the weird in between phase.

i'm still praying (quite hard) and am saying "god" or "heavenly father". i don't know why, but right now to say "jehovah" seems not quite right.

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

sacoltan-i view jesus as my eternal father in the sense that he has secured my oppournity for eternal life by means of his sacrifical death.as far as using jehovahs name in prayer-it helps the person develope a bond with the persons heavenly father.the wts does not have copyright for the divine name.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jehovahsheep,

Jehovah is NOT the divine name of God, the JW's can keep it if they want it.

If one was to choose a "name" from the OT, Adonai or Elohim woudl at least be legit.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

No I don't pray to Jehovah any longer - that god died when I left his faith.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Yahweh would be closer to pronouncing the Divine Name than Jehovah.

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

i agree that yahweh is also a good name to use.jehovah is a modern day transliteration of yahweh.i know many of us are disgusted with the wts but we need to remember that they did not invent the name jehovah,jehovahs name is used and professed among many christian groups.the wts preumptously and illegaly attached gods name to their group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit