If you pray, do you say 'Jehovah'...?

by wantstoleave 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Just wondering of those that pray and who have left the organisation, do you still address God as Jehovah?

I think I'm currently in that awkward stage where I'm neither in or out, yet don't feel I should even address, or have the right, to talk to God (Jehovah) until I decide where I sit. So I'm wondering if it's hypocritical to pray and use his name.

How do others feel?

• teel
    teel

I understand you, I am somewhat in a similar position. I admit it sounds funny, but I actually addressed to God in one of my prayer as "Jehovah, or whatever your name might be" . I am sure God would understand your hesitation (and my awkward naming). Usually I tend to just use "God" though.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi WTS,

Be like Jesus Matthew 6:9 Matthew 11:25 Luke 23:34

Mark 14:36 (New Century Version)

36 He prayed, "Abba, [ a ] Father! You can do all things. Take away this cup [ b ] of suffering. But do what you want, not what I want."

Footnotes:
    1. Mark 14:36 Abba Name that a Jewish child called his father.

Romans 8:15 (New International Version)

15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. [a] And by him we cry, "Abba, [b] Father."

Galatians 4:6 (New International Version)

6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, [a] Father."

Blessings,

Stephen

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I address my Father as Father.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Oh Boy do I know how you feel. I went for a long time saying something like teel did. I now use Father and My God and on occasion I use Yahweh.

I also try to remember that it's not the name that's important but my reliance on Him and my relationship with Christ.

You do have the right. Remember, God sent his son to redeem us even before we deserved it. He acted first out of his love and compassion. He wants to have a relationship with us.

As a side questions since your name is wantstoleave, what is holding you back?

• wobble
    wobble

I never use the name Jehovah,the WT org has given that name so many bad connotations, I use Father, sometimes "Sovereign Lord" ,I saw that in Acts and liked it.

Sometimes I pray to Jesus by name to give thanks for what he has done, and to ask for his help if I am witnessing about him.It was a long time before I could do that ,after I left the Borg.

I am now sure that Jesus is the Way the Truth and the Life, and I am sure He hears my prayers.

Love

Wobble

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Thelistener....I guess I am holding me back, but also family. Only my parents and sister are JW's but I am at their house everyday, spend alot of time with them. They watch my kids while I work. We go out together. We are all each other have. My brother has already left (inactive, lives with his GF, yet refuses to celebrate holidays/birthdays).....and my parents are devastated by this. My JW husband left me with two children and doesn't support them in any way, yet still goes to meetings and claims to be a JW. I'm disillusioned by it all, stumbled, upset at being in this hellish limbo (not scrip free) and the list goes on. If I left, my parents hearts would break. That is my dilemma.

• TheListener
    TheListener

wantstoleave,

I see. I lost so very much when I left. It's never easy. Situations like yours is precisely why the WTS has disfellowshipping. They know that family is important and necessary and use that as leverage against their members.

It took me years to fade away and break free. Even now I'm not totally free. I guess what I'm saying is move at your own pace but always be thinking ahead. You deserve to be happy and to have a strong relationship with Jesus. After all he is our King, redeemer and the head of the christian body.

Good luck wantstoleave.

• yknot
    yknot

I still us Jehovah....

Probably will for the rest of my life.

I don't allow the WTS to have exclusive rights to a name that was decided upon for the English rendition. Jehovah is found in other bibles, used in sermons by other preachers, and found in many hymns....... I also don't allow them to dictate the relationship I have with Jehovah or Jesus because their claim of appointment upon reading older literature and seeing the revision and claim not being made until way after 1918-1919 proves that it is a myth and sham!

When you are ready, find a quiet place and pray, turning it all over to them, asking for holy spirit to give comfort and guidance (it will be emotional but when you are ready it will also be a deep release).......

I did like Isaacaustin's suggestion of 'Father'...... or perhaps "Heavenly Father".

Don't rush, breathe

I am in a similar boat of family being close and highly involved with livelihood, childcare, and housing.

I am still attending but knowing the truth about the 'troof' gives some comfort.

Just focus on getting that divorce and taking ONE step at a time.

• Chalam
    Chalam

ynot,

I don't allow the WTS to have exclusive rights to a name that was decided upon for the English rendition

Agreed. I do however find the name is associated with the JWs and this can cause problems.

Jehovah is found in other bibles, used in sermons by other preachers, and found in many hymns.

The important point here is that, yes, that is correct but not in the New Testament!

Jesus came so we can be sons and daughters of YHWH and call Him "Abba Father".

If you want to know what Abba means then it translates as "daddy" or "pops".

Once you are a child, the name is not important, God knows you are talking to Him and anything affectionate is well received :)

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit