Is Atheism a Form of Blind Faith?

by passwordprotected 232 Replies latest jw friends

• Gladring
    Gladring

This may be pearls before swine, but here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wV_REEdv xo
  • MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Perry at least gives us solid evidence that if God does exist, he only reveals himself to bigoted morons.

Perhaps he created THEM in his image.

Great video Gladring. I doubt some of our friends here are capable of grasping simple logic though.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Good find Gladring

This would be a great video for our friend Perry to take in and contemplate .

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Perry is not interested in defending his position, only attacking the opposing position, seemingly without any knowledge of where his opposition actually stands. To paste the old 'atheism black box' image just demonstrates his willful ignorance of his opponent's position. He is right, Atheists are wrong, it doesn't matter what points Atheists make, they are wrong.

I have found the thread entertaining though, in the way Thunderf00t's youtube videos 'Why people laugh at creationists' are entertaining (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=AC3481305829426D). Those wacky creationists! You never know what they're going to say next!

For example, this idea that God created time: So.. that would mean at one point there was no time, and then God thought 'This sucks, there is no time' (but jumble that up into a single word all at once).. and as he was thinking that he had actually already created time - because God could only have one state if he was outside of time. Yeah, that makes so much more sense than a big bang resulting from a complex system (quantum mechanics) we don't fully understand yet. Not knowing how something happened or works does not automatically mean "God" and "magic". In time, we may well understand this, and then God will have to go find another little gap in our understanding to hide in.

I'm sorry, Perry, I cannot understand this concept of "God created time". The 'incomplete logic' and 'I'm making this crap up as I go' detectors in my brain are fully operational. None of this 'god created time' even comes from the Bible. Perry is doing what creationists do best - making stuff up without thinking about what he is actually suggesting. And then, the icing on the cake:

Now say something intelligent..

Ha ha, I get the joke! How about "e=mc 2 ". Not what you were looking for Perry? How about "goddidit".

Sorry, I just cannot accept your time cube theory based on the fact that it doesn't agree with the fossil evidence, math, and physics. Oops, did I say 'time cube'? I meant "God theory". I always get those two mixed up.

- Lime

PS: Out of curiosity Perry, do you engage in "blind faith" by assuming time cube theory is incorrect, or do you accept it as a creditable possibility?

• Perry
    Perry

Like JW's, atheists believe what they say is true at the time that they speak it, albeit for different reasons. For the JW it is because the Watchtower currently says something. For the atheist, he imagines himself as autonomous and therefore the originator of truth. It makes not the slightest bit of difference if the atheist takes a position that requires negation his immediately previous position, as I illustrated in my previous post.

This is a fascinating phenomena and no doubt the years of WT practice lowers the natural resistance to such rectal excrement. I don't mean to be crude, but we have all suffered from "stinkin thinking", many of us were lobotomized from birth with this kind of relative truth. I personally am done with it; you guys have all the fun with it you want.

Regarding something from nothing:

PsyParrot says:

I've never met an atheist who believes that. I continue to meet christians who do though.

Yet, every atheist I ever talked to parrots the world's foremost atheist here:

Dawkins, in his 2004 book "The Ancestor's Tale" wrote, "The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved literally out of nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice."

It really is exactly the same thing when you try and witness to a JW.

Christian: How are your sins forgiven?

JW: Jesus died for the sins of the whole world.

Christian: So, do you believe in universalism (everyone will be forgiven and saved)

JW: No, of course not

Christian: So, how do you know if your sins are forgiven or not.

JW: Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, can't you read it right there?

Now, we all know that what the JW is really hiding is the fact that he believes that salvation is ONLY from the watchtower. He just can't bring himself to say it because it sounds so utterly ignorant.

Likewise, atheists try hard to avoid the facts that are inherent in an atheist worldview, which are:

1. Something from Nothing

2. They know all things and are hence qualified to justify the creed "there is no God"

3. People that God has revealed himself to are liars.

Like the JW's, atheists practice self deception to an unprecedented degree and it doesn't seem to bother them if they are found out or not.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Likewise, atheists try hard to avoid the facts that are inherent in an atheist worldview, which are:

1. Something from Nothing

2. They know all things and are hence qualified to justify the creed "there is no God"

3. People that God has revealed himself to are liars.

Like the JW's, atheists practice self deception to an unprecedented degree and it doesn't seem to bother them if they are found out or not.

Excuse me, but your answer to the universe is also subject to number 1.

For number 2, change "there is no God" to "there is a God" and it also applies to you.

For number 3, nothing could be further from the truth. If you feel like athiests are calling you a liar, you have major issues. I for one, do not denigrate other people's spiritual experiences. However, and this is the entire fucking issue, YOUR experience does not make God exist for EVERYONE ELSE.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

People become atheists because of and impart of religionists practical evidence of their gods , which is simple words spoken and written by men who lived

thousands of years ago. Thats the only evidence they have in support of their beliefs and as in certain cultures to not believe in these deities, would bring down

varied amount of harmful effects individually.

Atheism has grown gradually partially out of that sense of reasoning and out of the accumulating factual knowledge of the world we live in.

Hence the gods are indeed disappearing on a continuing basis as mankind progresses on, only to be left in folklore and imaginative story telling.

Until a great and yet unknown spirit does make an appearance on this earth, mankind might be better off pursuing humanism as an expressed endeavor.

The gods may not be here but we certainly are.

• Perry
    Perry

Daniel,

No. It is not. A self-existing God is not "nothing" but is the original something.

YOUR experience does not make God exist for EVERYONE ELSE.

God exists or not irrespective of anyone's perspective. This is simply using words to create alternate realities. Both cannot be correct, one must be in error. You do understand that God cannot both exist and not exist at the same time don't you?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Daniel,

No. It is not. A self-existing God is not "nothing" but is the original something.

Your "original something" is no more logical or plausible than there being no God. And probably less so, since by your interpretation this "original something" has to fit in with what Middle Eastern tribes wrote down.

YOUR experience does not make God exist for EVERYONE ELSE.

God exists or not irrespective of anyone's perspective. This is simply using words to create alternate realities. Both cannot be correct, one must be in error. You do understand that God cannot both exist and not exist at the same time don't you?

Actually, no, I don't understand. It is just as plausible that God does and does not exist at the same time. Why? Because even if there is one true reality, we can never know it, because we only know reality through our own experience.

Thus, you may have constructed God, but for others he does not, or cannot, exist. It doesn't matter if he exists or not!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

To expand on this a little bit, Phillip K Dick said "reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Well, many people can stop believing in God, and magically, God goes away. He no longer plays a role in their life, and nothing that happens to them later on reveals him to them.

On the other hand, for some, God does not go away. They still feel something inside them, and he surfaces again, or reveals himself to them in some manner.

Who is right? Does God "go away" or not?

It doesn't fucking matter!

There may be a reality out there, a "truth," but it is out of our grasp.

And perhaps that's the best thing, because what would Man be capable of with absolute knowledge? Many good things, sure, but also many great bad things.

Sticking with the courage of you convictions is another way of exercising the cowardice of your mutability.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit