I can't help that I think less of poor spellers

by gubberningbody 63 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I done fixed it...

haha

(you missed "our" instead of "or"...don't know how I did that)

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL.

I'm beginning to like you a little bit, Undercover.

Sylvia

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have more of a problem with people that do not know how to spell. If it is a typo, a word that they get wrong, or a mistake, that is no big deal. Only when paragraph, punctuation, grammar, and spelling errors are so numerous that it makes it difficult to get the sense of the post does it matter to me. And that's because an excellent post could be lost because I cannot understand it.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I wouldn't say I'm a spelling nazi, but I do think it's important. For one thing, if we're bashing the Watchtower's stand on higher education it helps if we can spell, or avoid using words that don't exist such as "infact", "noone", and "irregardless".

Example:

Infact, noone with a Awake Univershitty educashun shood be imbarased aboot knot bein abel too spel.

Would you take someone who wrote this seriously? I wouldn't.

W

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

People who are obsessed about spelling remind me of JW ass wholes, having to cross every eye and dot every tee….

Get over it..!!

Correct spelling is all man made bullshit anywhey and is always changing, so what is ‘correct’ at the end of the day…??

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I admit it, this is where I am shallow too. If I see misspellings I think ...this person is not very bright. If they are trying to make a case or a point for something I usually don't pay as much attention or give them as much credit. I'm sorry, I have been editing documents for almost 20 years, and when I see these things they just shout out at me. I wouldn't normally say anything, but someone else brought it up.

Ada

• JeffT
    JeffT

OK I'm an English major and an amateur writer. In the course of 400,000 words or so I've made a few mistakes. I think that good writing is important in formal writing, a business letter, a term paper; is this forum formal or informal writing? I'm not sure. Also, on internet forums a lot of people are not native English speakers. I like hearing from people all over the world and we have to cut them some slack. How well can you spell in French or Russian?

Prior to the publication of Webster's dictionary spelling in the English language was a hit or miss thing. The Journals of Lewis and Clark are a great example. They contain something like 28 spellings of the word "mosquito."

• rocketman
    rocketman

What bugs me (doesn't happen here often, if at all, but I've seen it at other web boards) is when people post in Text Message-ese.

One very commonly misspelled (did I just mis-spell misspelled?) word that I often see, here and elsewhere:

Definitely (often spelled "definately").

• linp24
    linp24

Does anyone know if this chronic struggle to conquer spelling and syntax is a malady borne mostly by english speaking folks? Do French speakers, Italian speakers, Swedish speakers also struggle continuously with their native languages as we do? Listening to satellite radio the other night, I heard that French children have conquered their native language and are very literate by the age of 5.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

What bugs me is when someone, who spells his moniker gubberningbody,authors a thread subect titled: I can't help that I think less of poor spellers. How am I supposed to take him seriously? I love it when people get pissy about spelling and then you notice spelling and grammtical errors in their posts. Heh heh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit