LaidOff Bethelites: Weeping And Gnashing of Teeth

by metatron 61 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Don't let any of the Watchtower's propaganda deceive you. I encountered some private conversations among Witnesses about the subject and it's ugly. Yes, there is suffering as many of these victims try to live on charity and can't find jobs in the worst economy since the Depression.

Some of their private observations include shock that you need a college degree for nearly any job and that the Watchtower Society couldn't have picked a worse time to do this to them .

All the while these complaints are discussed, I try not to show that I am astounded by their bizarre "logic". Somehow when 'worldly' companies cut long term workers, it's because of bad motives and lack of loyalty but somehow the Watchtower escapes this judgment. The fact that many companies are vastly more generous in severance escapes them. Somehow, the Society is just saving money because of new technology. The fact that they cut literature, magazines, subscriptions and food service escapes their notice.

I'm not making this stuff up. It takes all my self control to play along with these insane conversations without indicating that they have taken leave of their senses. Perhaps they realize on some level what's really happening and that's why they are at least willing to gossip around the edges of "how the Lord does NOT provide" ( my characterization).

Don't have any doubt about the Watchtower articles on loyalty - they have screwed people over and now have sent a strong message to long term "volunteers" that the Society is not to be relied on. It's no wonder they felt the need to put some of these people on stage at assemblies a la North Korean show trials to Praise Our Glorious Leadership. Allowing the Watchtower's "Old Guard" to know that they are disposable is a huge mistake - unless they really do have plans to radically downsize stuff like C.O.'s, etc.

metatron

• Farkel
    Farkel

howdy meta,

It's tragic that after 1.25 centuries of puffery, grandiose claims, mega international assemblies, landmark Supreme Court cases, tens of billions of copies of printed matter and a trillion hours of preaching to the world that THEY are the chosen ones, it all ends up being about money after all.

Ironically pathetic, huh?

Farkel

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

It breaks my heart.

My hope is that this "life crisis" brings on an awakening, of course, and that they are all the better for it. Nevertheless, it is horrifying and inexcusable that this is the way they are treated when they have given everything.

Not one of them deserves that. These "critical times hard to deal with" were thrust upon them by their unloving master!

May they all find strength, wisdom, and enlightenment.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A Jehovah`s Witness will always have a reason..

For..

Why a WBT$ "Shit for Brains Decision",is Good..

Even if it Screws up thier Entire Life..

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Soilent Green is people!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Metatron, "All the while these complaints are discussed, I try not to show that I am astounded by their bizarre "logic". Somehow when 'worldly' companies cut long term workers, it's because of bad motives and lack of loyalty but somehow the Watchtower escapes this judgment."

There are several factors involved, particularly for those of us that were obedient long-term drones. One of the biggest is Bethel Mind Control. It's the same JW Mind Control X 100. Not only do you get the same sheeple Kool-Aid at the congregation meetings, but you also get the poisonous Morning Worship, Bethel "Family" Watchtower Study, and one of the biggest... Monday Night Lectures... all repeat the same message of the importance of the organization over any selfish personal interests, trust the FDS, always act happy, put on a good face for Jehovah, exercise love and forgiveness whenever your treated like crap around here, the toilets you're scrubbing in Bethel for Jehovah will earn your grand reward which is coming... soon. If the "family member" has paid attention, this mantra will go with them as they get a foot firmly planted on their ass as they are kicked out into the real world. "Oh, thanks for the 'privilege' of getting 'reassigned' to the field!" [Ouch, I wonder why my ass hurts? I'd go to the doctor to check out that pain... but I don't have any insurance now.]

So much for "family", eh?

But a sense of loyalty remains. After all, that's all you've got. No real work experience references... unless you're one of the lucky ones that actually got out with some kind of training and can prove it. You're greatest hope is that "Jehovah will provide". The problem is that for most of us, that message is exactly the same as "keep warm and well fed". Nobody is eagerly looking to hire ex-bethelites like we were led to believe.

"North Korean show trials"... indeed.

One day I'll tell my story. But not today. I really don't want to think about it all right now. My life sucks because I was completely deceived and used by Watchtower Corporation.

The worst part is that although I know I should rally and get on with my life and pursue freedom, there is something like a "self-destruct mechanism" planted in my brain by JW teachings. "The world is hopeless. Look at all the problems. There are no real friends out there. Nobody who leaves is really happy." And all my friends and family are in the bOrg. Although I'm trying to fade and ease my mind and life away from the cult, it's a battle to admit that I've wasted so much time and energy on a lie.

I appreciate the support and understanding I get here.

And, uh...

Thanks in advance for not flaming me as some kind of cult leader that's getting what I deserved.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    The worst part is that although I know I should rally and get on with my life and pursue freedom, there is something like a "self-destruct mechanism" planted in my brain by JW teachings. "The world is hopeless. Look at all the problems. There are no real friends out there. Nobody who leaves is really happy." And all my friends and family are in the bOrg. Although I'm trying to fade and ease my mind and life away from the cult, it's a battle to admit that I've wasted so much time and energy on a lie.

Thanks for sharing that. This describes exactly how I feel/felt. It's like I need permission or something to happen for me to be optimistic and happy.

I hope you figure it out for yourself Billy. Cheers to your future! It's there, and you will get there....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Perhaps they realize on some level what's really happening and that's why they are at least willing to gossip around the edges of "how the Lord does NOT provide"

I don't know any laid-off Bethelites. I did speak with some who beat the wave of layoffs by finding work and leaving. None of them discussed doing more for the organization than typical token service. They were pioneers who served to get to Bethel and now they see what folly there was in that dream.

I would venture to say that most former Bethelites, regardless of what they say, know that it is just a business.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

Thank God I left when I did and got my degree(s). Maintaining that cynical attitude while at Bethel kept my perspective in check and on the edge. If I had stayed I suspect I would have been let go and so screwed trying to survive and adjust....

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Billy, I adore you. When you're ready to tell your story I'll be very interested in hearing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit