LaidOff Bethelites: Weeping And Gnashing of Teeth

by metatron 61 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it's tough. I scored a majorly over qualified employee to help me. I treat her great so it lighten the loads of a lessor job

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

it's satan persecuting only "them"

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

I went against the grain and got myself a college degree and was severely criticised for it. Many times the elders and others counselled me to give it up. I didnt, graduated and now have a secure job. Without it, Id find it hard to get work due to being a single parent (time constraints, childcare costs etc). Im glad I persisted and got my education.

• stillin
    stillin

maybe that's why Jesus put into question form..."Who REALLY is the faithful and discreet slave?...to the extent that you fed the least of these my btothers, you fed me."

If he wants us to wonder about that, all of that getting dismissed from your secure place, your "home" at Bethel sure does make you wonder.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    It's tragic that after 1.25 centuries of puffery, grandiose claims, mega international assemblies, landmark Supreme Court cases, tens of billions of copies of printed matter and a trillion hours of preaching to the world that THEY are the chosen ones, it all ends up being about money after all.

Well said Farkel! Well said.

• metatron
    metatron

Farkel, it is ironic.... but also hopeful. We can't expect addicted cultists to change but drain off their funds and we could see the Watchtower itself lose interest!

Billy, I feel some compassion for these suckers. They utterly depend on the charity of loyal Witnesses while being slapped in the face by Watchtower cruelty. Try fading away in that condition.

Beliefs have consequences. Anyone who thinks that Watchtower fantasies can't hurt people needs to be 50+, with grey hair and no job prospects and no college degree while living with Witness friends that would like you to leave.

metatron

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    Thanks in advance for not flaming me as some kind of cult leader that's getting what I deserved.

Flame you? No way brother, most of us around here really appreciate your input! You've been a major encouragement!

• cheerios
    cheerios

The worst part is that although I know I should rally and get on with my life and pursue freedom, there is something like a "self-destruct mechanism" planted in my brain by JW teachings. "The world is hopeless. Look at all the problems. There are no real friends out there. Nobody who leaves is really happy." And all my friends and family are in the bOrg. Although I'm trying to fade and ease my mind and life away from the cult, it's a battle to admit that I've wasted so much time and energy on a lie.

although i never went to bethel, i grew up in this cult and didn't know anything else. i liken it to Stephen King's most-outstanding story "The Shawshank Redemption" ... we became institutionalized ...

fortunately, for us, hope (as represented by Andy DuFresne) is really there - just gotta crawl thru a pipe of crap to get there

• snowbird
    snowbird

(((((((Billy)))))))

Great thread, Metatron.

Sylvia

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Metatron,

What you heard about these ex-bethelites is what I expected you would hear. Yes, it is damn hard and it could not be a worse time for this to happen to them. Anybody who believes the strapped publishers in the congregations are going to give much to them is delusional. These people are barely holding on to a job and have to keep a roof over their head and feed their families!

Billy the Ex Bethelite,

No, I won't flame you because you are fading. You at least have seen it is wrong and are trying to get out and I wish you well in your journey. Yes, life on the outside is hard and people who were always on the front lines, like me, know this. While these bethelites situation is serious, how much pity would somebody who was burned by their bad advice give to them? Many people who heeded the religion's bad advice to not get a college education or career are in pitiful shape and desperately trying to make a living right now as we speak. Good luck to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit