Christians explain? Jews never believed in a Trinity even today so how/when did it start?

by Witness 007 148 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

JD,

John 1:1 makes it clear that Jesus is God, there is also ample statements like:

One with God, exact form of God, the fullness of God dwells in him, did not view equality with God as soemthing to hold on to, these are plainly stated in scripture and as such show that Jesus is, for all intents and purposes, God.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    What is scripturla/biblical ie: what is plainly stated in the Bible, as an example Acts where Peter states that Salvation is through Jesus and that there is no other name under heaven in which we are saved.

Plenty of room for interpretation. What is meant by "through" or "name"? What does it mean to be "saved" and does that mean once saved always saved? Which Jesus are we talking about? The man or the God-man?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

JD,

If there wasn't room for interpretation ( and there always is) then there would never have been a division of the Christian religion.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    John 1:1 makes it clear that Jesus is God, there is also ample statements like:
    One with God, exact form of God, the fullness of God dwells in him, did not view equality with God as soemthing to hold on to, these are plainly stated in scripture and as such show that Jesus is, for all intents and purposes, God.

To you, but I know of a few million JWs who would take issue with you on John 1:1 (a god). What does "one"mean, how is "form" meant in the Greek language, what does "fullness" mean? Was he holding on to equality or trying to grasp for it as a man. Lots and lots of room for interpretation. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, there still is a bit of work involved. Thank goodness for the good people at Strong and Vine's and the army of theologians who have helped us with interpretations throughout the ages.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

The entire idea of once saved always saved is ripe for interpretation as well. Fundamental to undertanding salvation and conducting ourselves, eh?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

JD,

Its one thing to live under the grace of God, that wonderful gift he has given us through his son Jesus, the issue is that we still have to RECEIVE that gift.

Its there for us, but we have to take the step to receive it, to cultivate that personal relationship with God, Jesus and the HS, how else can we receive that most wonderous of gifts?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Its one thing to live under the grace of God, that wonderful gift he has given us through his son Jesus, the issue is that we still have to RECEIVE that gift.

John Wesley had an interesting term he would use to explain these things. He used the term "prevenient grace".

http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/Wesley/walk.stm

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Very interesting, thanks BTS.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Very interesting, thanks BTS.

I highly recommend his sermon: "Free Grace"

http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/Wesley/serm-128.stm

In his own life, he seems to have been a very saintly man.

BTS

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    I was told that Salvation for a Christian is based on the belief and Faith that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that he dies for our sins and that he was ressurected and is at the right hand of God, that is the BASIS for salvation for a Christian.

Not complete because works plays a major role in salvation in the RCC. Some regard it as works based salvation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit