Any JW's here?

by stillin 51 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I am not a JW. I am a study and I do some of my examination here and other places on the internet.

I would be a JW if they cam prove it is true.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I've seen the light. I'm a Mormon now.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Mormons are a cult,same as Watchtower society. Open your eyes again and don't have anything to do with religion. All are there for the money.

• stillin
    stillin

wha happened...I never did care for any of the numbers systems that the Witnesses have used over the years. I just have felt that these are "critical times" and that surely the end is near. The Witnesses seem to have gotten that right more so than any other branch of Christianity.

I just think it's a straw man argument thing. Who cares and who can really say? I'm no archeologist, so, naturally, I can be easily duped by any pseudo-archeologist. I just played along with the whole 607 thing because the math looked right, but, hey WW1 was going to happen eventually, right?

I'm stillin, for now

• wobble
    wobble

Stillin,and others,have come on here and stated they know little about the core doctrines of the religion they are in !!! ????

I find that amazing,that people can be SO gullible.

Put simply the problem of dates cannot be ignored, because the authority,and mandate to speak for God,that the WT/GB claim is based on dates.

They have nothing else to point to that would make them God's organization,which they claim to be.

607 BCE is NOT,repeat NOT when the Babylonians destroyed Jerusalem,that happened circa 586 BCE.

therefore 1914 is NOT 2520 years from said destruction.

Therefore for this reason,along with a host of others, Jesus did NOT choose anybody to be his "Faithful and Discreet Slave" in 1919.

Therefore the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses and the Writing Committee are just producing their own deluded thoughts for consumption by gullible JW's.

The Lord Jesus says to all "Do not follow them" Luke 21v8

Love

Wobble

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I'm no archeologist, so, naturally, I can be easily duped by any pseudo-archeologist. I just played along with the whole 607 thing because the math looked right, but, hey WW1 was going to happen eventually, right?

You said a mouthful there Sunshine.

You are describing me when I hadn't bothered to drag my naive self down to the library to prove that the Watchtower's chronology was correct.

I never did manage to produce a list of kings from Nebby to Nabby with a coherant set of dates attached.

How about you do it for me? If you have enough spare time on your hands to be posting on an apostate website, you should have enough time for such a simple task.

Welcome to the forum.

Chris

• vilot
    vilot

When I first began having doubts I would never think of visiting apostate sites for information come to find out I didn't need to. I began researching the WTS from their own literature going back to Charles Taze Russell...And then I found this gem:

Zions Watchtower February 1881 page 3:

If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two or six years ago would be regarded as darkness now: But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning, and so it is with truth;any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. "New light" never extinguishes older "light," but adds to it. If you were lighting up a building containing seven gas jets you would not extinguish one every time you lighted another, but would add one light to another and they would be in harmony and thus give increase of light: So is it with the light of truth; the true increase is by adding to, not by substituting one for another.

• stillin
    stillin

frankly, I'm not so sure that ANYBODY knows when Jerusalem was destroyed for positive. I would EXPECT that there would be differences of OPINION on the matter.

And it's a dumb thing to base a faith on, or not. Yes, I'm sick of the mantra that gets repeated by the F+D slave bunch that 607 is "pivotal."

Call me lazy...I just don't care anymore. There are bigger issues in the WTS. Like maybe living up to the high ideals and principles that they proclaim. To me, kindness and justice trumps 607 anytime!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Many thousands of scientist [those who study facts not fantasy] have determined a date for the destruction of Jerusalem based on facts!

There is still debate - whether it was 587 or 586 BCE. But no one even mentions 607 as a possible date - anywhere. This fact became evident to me early on in my 'doubting stage' when I searched dozens of museum/scientific sites to look at the Babylonian timeline. Not one of them ever heard of 607 as a date of any importance in history of the Babylonians.

Read "Gentile Times Reconsidered". It is well researched, and the WTS falls flat on it's face in trying to refute it. 607 is keystone to the WTS - without it 1914 falls flat. Without Jesus 'selecting' them in that timeframe, they are just another 19th century upstart doomsday religion. Nothing more.

Of course, over time, doomsday religions morph into doomsday mind-control cults.

Jeff

• Quandry
    Quandry

To have stood up for a set of principles that oppose the dark forces that seem to be driving our human family down the toilet. I thought that Jehovah's Witnesses had it straight,

Yes, that is what I thought I was doing, and was set to do it despite anyone's thinking opposition-even my parents, and they opposed for many years.

Eventually, however, it was the "lack of love" that got to me. My husband was an elder for twenty years....I always tried to look for the best in others, but I found that some elders can be as cruel as they like, and you are expected to take it "because God has allowed it."

That and the realization that if I asked too many questions about the "generation" change, I'd be looked at as "leaning toward apostacy" and didn't like the feeling in my gut that it produced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit