"Pioneer Syndrome" - Pioneers from the 1990's are getting very sick in 2009! Theories?

by Witness 007 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Just heard Sister G______ is very ill and not looking good at all. Shes in her 40's and looks like an old lady! Very tired she can barely manage to work a day or two because she has to...I myself crashed with Glanduar fever and was tired for 4 years...still others have developed "Pioneer Syndrome" tired, always ill with no cure, increased need for sleep. 2 Specials are very sick and a number of people I Pioneered with are suffering a form of exaustion and sickness.

I know "the hours" will kill you, with Meetings and Field Service PLUS working for a living. Car fumes? I would get stir crazy sitting in my car for hours!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Most of these sick Pioneers are my age in their 30's now. Some are early 40's.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Yeah, I know lots of those. If I was still pioneering now, no doubt I would have developed some strange condition for a little respite.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Don't foget the "Bethelite Syndrome" as well. All these mugs were tired as fk. Walking zombies.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

What has the AWAKE had to say in the past few years? My ex-wife is/was a pioneer and she, along with 20% of the sisters in the cong self diagnosed themselves with chronic fatigue, lupos, and fibromialgia (spelling?) after it was mentioned in the awake mag around the mid 90's.

• Chalam
    Chalam

All JWs who go door to door with their "different gospel" are under a curse.

Galatians 1:6-9 (English Standard Version)

No Other Gospel
    6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. The point is made two verses running so it is pretty clear. It has been mentioned on this board numerous times that when people leave the WT many problems go overnight, physical and psychological. All the best, Stephen
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So you're saying that this scripture isn't fulfilled in the dubs:

(Isaiah 40:29-31) 29 He is giving to the tired one power; and to the one without dynamic energy he makes full might abound. 30 Boys will both tire out and grow weary, and young men themselves will without fail stumble, 31 but those who are hoping in Jehovah will regain power. They will mount up with wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not tire out.”

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "The spiritual paradise is all a sham."

B the X

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

The Kingdumb Melody of " the way of the truth is the best way of living" doesn't seem so valid now, if not the exact opposite

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Pionering is just plain bad for your health. Like a job where you sit around all day. If you drive around in cars, walk twenty feet to a door once in a while, drink way too much coffee just to keep your mood up, and eat late or no breakfast, and then just go home and study for that night's meeting... jesus h christ, WHAT A LIFE!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Even if it isn't the lifestyle of stopping at a donut/coffee shop every morning and using public restrooms all day and sitting in a car all day to get out and walk 20 YARDS (hardly ever 20 feet), too much coffee and all that....

....even if it isn't the physically bad part of that lifestyle, the pioneer who walks in service all day and eats right and doesn't drink much besides water will still get this "illness" you speak of.

I remember one who said she had "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome." She read it in the Awake and she decided she had it.

Gathering information not from Awake could be a real eye-opener to people like her. She probably really has CFS, but not because it is a feeling of exhaustion that the other JW's cannot say that she has. CFS is persistent fatigue unrelated to exertion and not substantially relieved by rest. Some common symptoms are cognitive difficulties, severe mental and physical exhaustion. Pioneers have to engage their cognitive skills all day if they actually speak to people. They have to have their cognitive dissonance in high gear. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance)They are defending a ridiculous doctrine and dismissing all their personal independent thoughts that conflict with it all the time. Also, I am sure that the imminence of the last seconds of the last days is wearing on them, wondering when it will finally arrive.

Most pioneers are "sisters" so they have to accept that they are secondary members to the low hour brothers and they have to wear napkins on their heads when the "brothers" don't show up at field circus meetups, further fueling their exhaustion with defending the beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit