Daily text - 1 Thess 5:19

by YoYoMama 41 Replies latest jw friends

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

1 Thess. 5:19 "Do not put out the fire of the spirit."

Commentary:

Christians today have the assignment to preach the good news. We treat this privilege with deep respect. It comes as no surprise to us that those who do not know God treat our preaching work with contempt. But when a Christian purposely neglects his ministry, it might result in extinguishing the fire of God's motivating spirit. Some outside the Christian congregation may view our ministry as mere distribution of literature. If we allow such negative views to influence our attitude, this may reduce our effectiveness in the ministry. Rather, let us maintain the view that the apostle Paul voice when he declared: "We are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are, but as out of sincerity, yes, as sent from God, under God's view, in company with Christ, we are speaking. " - 2 Cor. 2:17. w7/1/00 9,10

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

A mighty fine text to start your morning off.

Some outside the Christian congregation may view our ministry as mere distribution of literature.

And....

Rather, let us maintain the view that the apostle Paul voice when he declared: "We are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are, but as out of sincerity, yes, as sent from God, under God's view, in company with Christ, we are speaking. " - 2 Cor. 2:17.

Oh, but you are. If it wasn't for the books and magazines, you would have nothing to offer. We had a regular pioneer sister that had a never used burgandy leather bound Bible in her bag. If I may ask, how many times to you go up to somebody and speak directly from the Bible and never offer any books, magazines, or tracts? And I mean use the word from the Bible only and nothing else.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• metatron
    metatron

sorry, yoyomama - it's just more nonsense.

First, as to being peddlers, the description fits the Watchtower.
    Ask yourself why the Society keeps pushing out dated "192 page"
    publications that don't lead to the Bible studies they want?
    How many people will "come into the truth" by FIRST studying
    a "Revelation Climax" book?

They do it because they want to get some contributions for
    their outdated, obsolete books.

As to putting out the "fire of the spirit", the Watchtower
    leadership has done that too. Holy spirit caused miracles,
    speaking in tongues, prophecying and other amazing phenomena
    - all the kind of stuff the Watchtower says Christians today can't
    do. They deny these things because IF THEY DIDN'T, IT WOULD
    THREATEN THEIR POWER. Any Witness that does ANYTHING the least
    bit miraculous threatens them because that person could say
    "God is supporting me, why should I listen to you?".

Furthermore, their "ministry" of counting hours spent on coffee
    breaks and knocking on empty houses has little or direction
    from God which is why circuit overseers keep demanding house
    to house records and calling back again and again and again ...
    It's all man-centered - not like the accounts of holy spirit
    drawing disciples to men like Cornelius or the Ethiopian eunuch.

metatron

• detective
    detective

Wow!
    One sentence... bible, one paragraph...Watchtower.

Priorities, priorities...tsk tsk!

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama
    If it wasn't for the books and magazines, you would have nothing to offer.

You are wrong. In Mexico, the Witnesses preached without any literature for years. They could not even use the Bible in public, so they memorized scriptures and used these in service. How many Witnesses are there in Mexico? In Argentina we did not use literature during the ban in late 70s, early 80s. We only used the bible in the ministry, and the publishers went from 30,000 before the ban to 100,000 after the ban.

• Seeker
    Seeker

If you had such great success in Mexico and Argentina, why did you immediately go back to leaving literature for money in such place as soon as it was legally allowed? When was the last time you just used your Bible and nothing else in service?

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I agree with you hawk. Back in the day (in the Borg) I can remember many times when a "householder" would want to talk just from the Bible.......no literature. Wow, what a frenzy that would cause. They would make sure that it was stated before the next visit what the subject would be, and there would be groups of people in the meantime getting together to put together information........FROM THE LITERATURE! And if, while at the home (return visit) the householder tried to get on to another subject, it of course couldn't be handled at the moment because they were not prepared for it. At this point it would be put on the shelf until they (witnesses) could get together again to research so they could be prepared for the next visit.

For me this only proved that the r&f DID NOT KNOW as much about their own religions teachings as they would like to have the general population think. It wasn't until many years later though, that I finally realised how much people within the Borg really rely on the Organization for every thought.

My husband, never a Witness although he studied for a while, said it is true that the Borg is full of sheep. I was a bit taken back by that, then he explained it further....."they are just like sheep in the fact that sheep will follow anyone anywhere with no questions asked."

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Seeker asks a great question. However my question went unanswered.

If I may ask, how many times do you go up to somebody and speak directly from the Bible and never offer any books, magazines, or tracts?

Furthermore, in Argentina, when the ban was lifted, the litature started flowing in. Also the reason you are not allowed to use the Bible in Mexico is to avoid taxed as a religion. FACT

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• neyank
    neyank

"Some outside the Christian congregation may view our ministry as mere distribution of literature."

But YoYo, That IS what the JW ministry consist of.

Are you going to deny that?

Haven't you been at the meetings where they show, demonstrate, teach how to sell, place, distribute the magazines?

I would like to see the reaction the elders will give you if you tell them that you will no longer use the mags. in service but will only use the Bible because you don't want anyone to think your ministry consists of selling mags.

They might consider you an apostate.

neyank

• metatron
    metatron

go a little deeper, yoyomama

They were a "cultural association" in Mexico as a legal and
    economic dodge. They ALLOWED plain, open, well known bribery
    to obtain cards that identified brothers as members of the armed forces - while at the same time denying similar cards to the
    organization in Malawi - causing the murder and rape of thousands
    there, in that dictatorship. They protected their property in
    Mexico, as "peddlers" would be expected to do.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit