Do you believe that the GB are in charge of the WBTS?

by God_Delusion 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

I have been reading up a lot about secret societies and what they do in order to control their members. One thing they all have in common is this;

The leaders of the group are never the real leaders of the group. Internal policies reflecting on the outcome and responsibility of the members are never made by the said leaders.

So, do you honestly believe that this billion dollar plus business is run by a small group of old men? I personally don't.

I would like to hear your views on this.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

GB = figureheads, sounds right. Don't know how much power the GB actually has, if any. I'm sure someone or ones on the board has more of a clue.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Do you believe that the GB are in charge of the WBTS?

They are only in charge of doctrine these days. They have virtually no Corporate power over the dozens of WT Corporations.

However, doctrine is still a pretty big deal if it is dispensed in moderation. It is the engine that drives the Corporate cash flow.

Farkel

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I do believe that in 1980, when Ray Franz left the Governing Body, it truly was the power of WTS. They had taken power away from the president by then. But since then, it is hard to say. The GB still has incredible authority in making rules. I imagine accountants and lawyers and real estate people are really running the WTS, slowly gathering power from the GB by telling them how they "have to do it" a certain way.

• blondie
    blondie

Who controls the GB (WTS)? When elders have to call as to what to do on a pedophile case, they are told to call LEGAL, LEGAL, LEGAL. Several elders found that on other issues they were referred first to the Legal Department. I'm sure the ones making any policy or doctrinal changes have to fly it by Legal.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...WBT$ Lawyers are in charge of legal matters...

................OUTLAW

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I think its entirely possible that some of the GB, or fewer people then we realize, REALLY run things. However, all the corporations are setup to bow to the final authority of the "ecclesiastical Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses." The one dept at Bethel that would dictate policy due to the GB's allergies to lawsuits is the Legal Dept, with the Service Dept a distant 3rd.

I do believe though that the GB still runs things.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yep, The legal desk hold a great deal of power. No reference to the legal desk is allowed the following are Elders instructions to be pasted into the blank page (143) in the pay attention book.

PHRASES NOT TO BE USED WHEN FILLING OUT S-77 FORMS OR CARDS

The following statements are not to be used on any documents that relate to those disfellowshipped or disassociated e.g S-77 forms or cards.

The following expressions should never be used:

1. Anything alluding to or naming one of the societies legal advisors.

2. Any mention of the legal desk.

3. Any comments referring to directions from the society.

4. Any comments mentioning anyone other than judicial committee itself as having any possible influence on the decision reached.

5. Any comment that might suggest to someone with a critical eye that the committee did not reach the decision on its own, but insytead, it somehow yielded to the influence of an outside party.

6 Any comments indicating that the Elders mishandled the case or committed any error in the investigation or judicial process.

(See K/S 91 pages 101 - 102 etc)

• Chalam
    Chalam

I agree, the GB are only the figureheads. "Faithful and discreet slave" is an appropriate term unfortunately.

Ephesians 6:12

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

All the best,

Stephen

• minimus
    minimus

I think the GB is in charge of Legal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit