Over The Years Who Have Been The Society's Biggest Thorns In Their Sides?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yes the Internet - that's what is doing it for me and I'm sure there are 1000's of others like me.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

The internet is the biggest thorn in the body of the bORG. It hurts every time they move. They can't stop it and it seems that they can't stop the rank and file from going to it. Ray Franz was big, he may have even been the catapalt but once he was launched, the internet spread the word and it's still spreading and growing. Who knows we may become a mighty nation of faders, (apostates)

I'm not saying I'm either one of those...

LD

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, the fact that Jehovah is a Tyrant and Jesus was trying to set mankind free from that Tyrant (and died trying). And, that after this, Jehovah promoted the scam that Jesus followed Him and died for us--and paved the way for "salvation" from the Original Sin scam.

Second, it's their own incompetence in treating people. If they generally fulfilled promises and treated people fairly, they could have been forgiven for a few errors and problems. If they treated people well enough so they would want to stay in, it would matter not that Armageddon did not come in 1975--people would see value in joining the religion and staying in, and would go in and stay in for that regardless of a few mistakes and problems. However, if they are continually mistreating people and breaking promises, they are going to be much less forgiving for their mistakes--for sure, if they would have got me in with the opposite sex, that would have been reason to stay whether Armageddon came when promised or not.

All those apostates would be nearly harmless to them if they had a basically sound religion, even with a few problems. If the value of joining and staying exceeds the cost, all the apostates in the world wouldn't be able to get me out--since I would be objectively better off staying in, even if there are issues and problems. But, if there is no value (or if the cost exceeds the value), that is reason enough to leave--and that they have their problems and mistakes is just one more reason to blow them off.

• Chalam
    Chalam

HB Yeah Jesus is a BIG thorn. They even have to deliberately translate to serve their own purposes.

Agreed!. Is that not "mistranslate" though?!

Have you ever noticed how uncomfortable and fidgety they get in a meeting if you talk about Jesus and say his name more than once??

That is very important. I have noticed this amongst JWs, also non JWs too. You can mention "Jehovah" all day long and no-one bats an eyelid. Start mentioning the name of Jesus and the spiritual atmosphere changes right away.

This is no coincidence, there is power in the name of Jesus. The bible says all this and much more regarding "the name".

Acts 4:10 Acts 4:18 Acts 5:40 Acts 16:18 Acts 19:13 1 Corinthians 5:4 Philippians 2:10 Colossians 3:17 1 John 3:23

JWs are like Paul when he was Saul before Jesus was revealed to him. Paul's testimony

Acts 26:9 (New International Version)

9 "I too was convinced that I ought to do all that was possible to oppose the name of Jesus of Nazareth.

This is for all of "Jehovah's Witnesses"

Acts 1:8-11 (New International Version)

8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 "Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."

And this

1 John 3:21-23 (New International Version)

21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.

All the best, Stephen

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Don't forget Pete Mossier and his Watchtower Quotes site. The WT even took legal action against him. He basically posted quotes from the WT's own publications of the past and the WT claimed to be embarassed or something. Imagine that, the WT feels embarassed by their own past literature.

Bangalore

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Greg Stafford

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

How about Walter Martin and Bill & Joan Cetnar

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Randy Waters, Freeminds, BRCI and the 800-why-1914 help-line

Coffee

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

The Laurie McGregor video series was good, left a lasting impression

• Mary
    Mary
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite said: My vote? The biggest thorns in their sides on this forum are easily "scholar" and "reniaa".

LOL! You beat me to it Billy. But yes, people like 'Scholar' and 'Reniaa' are hugely embarrassing for the Society, at least on this site, because they cannot properly defend the Organization, it's teachings, or anything else related to the Society, and any of the numerous lurkers on here would be able to see that.

With that said, I'd have to say that, overall, the biggest thorns in their side are (in no particular order):

1. Ray Franz
    2. Barbara Anderson
    3. Jim Penton
    4. Bill Bowen
    5. Simon (simply because this is a hugely popular site)
    6. Randy Watters
    7. Carl Jonsson
    8. Dateline
    9. The Internet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit