Circuit Oversear for dinner..."sorry no time to talk" remember this! Like Jesus is coming!

by Witness 007 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• cantleave
    cantleave

We had the Co over for lunch last year. He saw our 50 inch TV on the wall and made a side comment about it being the most domineering thing in the room. In reality he is actually a really nice guy, very intelligent and an excellent comminicator. He could make a substantial living if he put his skills to use in a career.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Pampering the CO was something I never felt was right. These people were the same as anybody else (we all put our pants on one leg at a time), and it disgusted me everytime they visited. Sure, I attended the KH and made sure to listen when he talked. But it was never anything new. I guess this was just one more nail in the coffin for me leaving. I can truly say I hated the way they treated these people, as if they had just come down from Mt Sinai.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

"the Circuit Oversear is coming for dinner",

Caution.

When the lion sits down for a meal with the lamb,

Only one of them enjoys the mint sauce!

KT

• boyzone
    boyzone

Were all you bro's wealthy? In our cong its was only the big house brigade that got the "privilege" of housing the CO for the week. Jenny Rogers was always the first in to take the CO and mrs, with her sprawling 5 bed farmhouse and acres of land overlooking the sea. I can't remember anyone else getting a look-in.

I planned to have the CO and mrs for lunch one time but my hubby and I were feeling the strain of being in the "truth" and things were difficult between us. Early into the CO's week I went to my sister's house for a few days to clear my head. I figured if the CO wants lunch on Wednesday, then there's a fish and chip shop down the road, they can have that.

Apparently there was this almighty fuss because I wasn't around to make their lunch. The fuss didn't come from the CO who was content with a bag of chips (thanks Richard Cullen) but the BOE who thought I'd committed the crime of the century. Needless to say I never had the "privilege" again.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

No, we were not wealthy at all. We had a 3 bedroom 2 bath house and 4 people in our family. But we did have probably the largest house of anyone in our congregation.

My aunt in another state also always hosted the COs and DOs and missionaries and special pioneers when they were visiting her congregation. She was not wealthy either but she did own a 5 bedroom 2 bath Victorian home built in 1900. It was the largest home in her congregation too.

I was a part of 3 congregations in my life and I never knew a JW that lived in a big fancy home. Most of the JWs I have known lived paycheck to paycheck and quite a few got government assistance. I can think of a few that owned some land. And I remember an elderly woman at our last congregation that was the heir to a very successful and ritzy women's clothing store in Charlotte, NC. She was lonely had somehow been duped into becoming a JW. She didn't even drive. We used to give her rides to the meetings because she lived on our side of town. She lived in a small (but very nice) apartment in the most exclusive neighborhood in Charlotte(Myers Park).

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

He saw our 50 inch TV on the wall and made a side comment about it being the most domineering thing in the room.

Maybe you should have said to him, "No, actually you are."

You all are bringing up so many memories. When I look back at all the C.O.s I had the "privilege" of working with and hosting, I can't think if one that I actually enjoyed being with. Trouble is, I couldn't share my feelings with anyone, since I would be talking against a "spirit-appointed" servant of Jehovah. And who was sure to make that point clear? A C.O., of course! Should have been a clue right there. Anyway. We had an elderly C.O. with a really cranky wife (Adams). The wife did not hold back from using the time I was serving her lunch to complain about the other sisters in my congregation, and some others I did not even know who were in the circuit. When the sisters in my congregation made a big show by buying her balloons, she changed her tune and was all smiles and friendliness. I remember thinking that it was pretty hypocritical - could have taken a lesson from many of you that let such hypocrisy of others help them out of the religion.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I do remember a CO that I have fond memories of. My whole family just loved he and his wife both and we looked forward to them staying in our home. But we never heard from them when my father died suddenly. It had been several years since we had seen them. We had moved to another city and they had changed circuits but they still saw relatives of ours and I am positive that they knew about my father's death. My parents had become inactive and I refused to allow my mother to have a JW funeral for my father. I even told the PO to leave our front door and never come back when he came to talk to my mother about giving the funeral talk. So I guess I'm the reason.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I seem to remember my mom - putting her name on the 'C.O. for lunch' list. I think that she just took them out to a restaurant, though.

"we all put our pants on one leg at a time"

My mom always used to tell me this... that's why - to this day, I put both my legs into my pants - at the same time - unlike other people - who put them on - one leg at a time.

Regards, Jim TX

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

We used to have them over in each visit (90's). They're basically CO's because they're the best salesmen. I realised something was up when I joined Herbalife and realised just how similar the WTS and Herbalife business models were.

Man made trashy cult.

• Mary
    Mary
    Towards the end of lunchtime Ann spoke up and said, "you know, the Governing Body expects us to be served with a proper 3 course meal at lunchtime."

I think I would have replied "then maybe you should go ask the Governing Body to serve you lunch you ungrateful whining bitch."

Ya, I know you can't actually say that but it boggles the mind how ungrateful some people can be. While I know of many CO's and their wives who are more than grateful for the meal, there are some that have absolutely no manners. I remember being at one sisters' house (in Calgary) when she had had the CO and his wife over for lunch after Service and she invited me and another dub. Anyway, the CO and his wife showed up, he plunked himself down on the couch, picked up the newspaper, started reading and totally ignored everyone. Even at that time, I thought "you ignorant prick", but refrained from saying anything else.

However, as the meal progressed, they rolled their eyes at the simple meal and some derogatory comments were made by the CO's wife. The poor sister who served the meal was literally, poor, and she offered the best she could. She was almost in tears and I guess the CO had never read about the poor widow who gave the two coins of "little value". I was shocked at how ignorant they were and even though I was young and believed it was the troof, I said something to the effect of "are you always this rude or are you just having a bad day?" The CO was furious that someone like me----young, female and blonde to boot----would dare say something like that to someone of his status, but I didn't care. I was really upset at how unappreciative they were.

Anyway, the prick told the elders what I had said, but fortunately for me, none of the elders could stand the jerk either and nothing happened to me. Apparently, he was a rude pig to everyone he encountered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit