Penetrating the Deepest Level- "Jehovah" is God

by OnTheWayOut 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Your wife sounds like a happy well balanced individual and I think you are doing all you can without being confrontational.

In some cases, such as mine, we are in for the long haul to help our loved one to realize they are in a dangerous mind control cult. We have to find non-threatening ways to penetrate the deep level of belief in anything WTS says. I use everyday conversations to make my wife think. She knows that college/education is extremely valuable to get by in today's world, she is upset at newstories of robbing people of their rights or making women secondary citizens to men. I encourage her independent thinking. I strike nerves on her dissonance but try to keep her religion out of it.

I will be rereading RELEASING THE BONDS again this fall

I'm also re-reading releasing the bonds

btw have you visited my lets learn new testament greek thread

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/180173/1/using-Logos-to-free-thought-from-where-it-can-get-trapped

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Drew, you are totally in sync with me on this. You get it, and I get what you are saying.
    It's all cognitive dissonance. It's all about ME BEING RIGHT to the JW member. Then most, as in my case, defer to the Bible (actually whatever the WT says about the Bible) to avoid personal responsibility for actually being right or understanding how they are right.

Any argument against WTS or the Bible according to WTS is simply a cause for dissonance and dismissed.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa said:

hi psacramento Trinitarians do not believe in One God they believe in three Gods and try and make them into one by saying it is so. 3 are not 1 mathematically and they aren't in the bible either.

Reniaa

my reply: Wrong likeusual reniaa. We beleive in one God. You misunderstand the difference between being and person. All of us are a being, in which one person inhabits. God, being infinite in nature, while being one being exists in 3 persons. The three persons operate in perfuct untiy. If they did not operate in perfect unity they would operate as 3 gods. They do so in perfect untiy, as one God.

• minimus
    minimus

OTWO, yeah, so? I think we all agree with it being cognitive dissonance. What's your point of this thread??

• wobble
    wobble

OTWO,

Thank you for this thread,and thank you for not allowing Ren's spoiling tactics to take it down the trinity true or false waste of time.

I think it is very strange how deep this "jehovah" thing goes,as a born in ,I am still trying to eradicate the thoughts and feelings associated with this name,and build a new set of emotions based on my feelings for Almighty God as my Father.

But it is emotional,JW's feel personally affronted if you mis-use the name in any way, in their view.

I will be interested to see some suggestions on how we help them to get beyond this, I know I have progressed,because as soon as someone mentions "jehovah" I know they are not talking about the God of the Bible,the true God of love, my defenses go up and I am prepared to witness for the true God.

Love

Wobble

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

www.tetragrammaton.org has more than enough info on where the name "jehovah" came from and wheter one shoudl view it as the "true" name of God.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

that's a great link Psac...i read that a few yrs ago...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Isacc,

It really is, it gives you very well docuemnted evidence of where the name Jehovah came from, and what Hebrew scholard think of it and what historians like Joesepheus thought the name of God was, very interesting stuff indeed.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

OTO..

What I hope to hear from you is something inspiring to work up to the idea that "Jehovah" of the WT is not God.

Thats a tough one Bud..

The best I have been able to do is..

First explain the translation mistake..Then say..:"I`m Agnostic..I have no idea if there is a God....But..I do know there is no God by the Name of Jehovah"..

History proves that..There is no getting away from that translation mistake..

I hope that may give you a few Ideas on how to approach your own problem....And..Solving it in your own way..

..................OUTLAW

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Minimus: OTWO, yeah, so? I think we all agree with it being cognitive dissonance. What's your point of this thread??

Last sentence of my first post:

What this thread is about: What thoughts do you have on penetrating a JW's deepest level of belief that "Jehovah" as defined by WTS is God and WTS must be "right" because they carry HIS name?

Min, I am not trying to make a point. I am not trying to diss suggestions. I suppose I am just frustrated that so far, nothing works. There are posters on here that have success and there are posters that do not. I just want to hear something that will help. Some of the responses did help. Thanks all.

Outlaw: I do know there is no God by the Name of Jehovah

I am sure I have said that in various ways. I will work it in a few more times in a few more ways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit