Unloaded on the husband of my wife's study sister last night, how much damage did I do to myself??

by insearchoftruth 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

w88 11/1 pp. 22-23 par. 12 When Marital Peace Is Threatened

The believer in a religiously divided home should do everything possible to take advantage of God’s spiritual provisions. But separation is allowable if an unbelieving mate’s opposition (perhaps including physical restraint) makes it genuinely impossible to pursue true worship and actually imperils the believer’s spirituality. Yet, what if a very unhealthy spiritual state exists where both mates are believers? The elders should render assistance, but especially should the baptized husband work diligently to remedy the situation. Of course, if a baptized marriage partner acts like an apostate and tries to prevent his mate from serving Jehovah, the elders should handle matters according to the Scriptures. If disfellowshipping takes place in a case involving absolute endangerment of spirituality, willful nonsupport, or extreme physical abuse, the faithful Christian who seeks a legal separation would not be going against Paul’s counsel about taking a believer to court.—1 Corinthians 6:1-8.

w88 11/1 pp. 26-27 pars. 3-8 Has God Called You to Peace?

At times, congregation elders are approached by fellow believers desiring help with serious marital problems. The elders are not authorized to tell anyone to leave or divorce a marriage mate, but they can point to what God’s Word says about these matters. As shown in the preceding article, separation is Biblically permissible in a case of willful nonsupport, extreme physical abuse, or the absolute endangerment of spirituality. It has also been noted that Scriptural divorce with the possibility of future remarriage to another partner is possible if a mate has committed "fornication," which embraces several forms of immoral sexual relations. (Matthew 19:9) Naturally, separation or divorce should not be a foregone conclusion, since it may be possible to restore marital peace, and even adultery or other forms of fornication can be forgiven by an innocent marriage partner.—Matthew 5:31, 32; compare Hosea 3:1-3.

As we noted in the previous article, the apostle Paul urged married Christians not to leave their mates. (1 Corinthians 7:10-16) In view of Paul’s words, if an unbelieving mate chooses to remain with his Christian marriage partner, the believer should try to help him spiritually. (1 Peter 3:1-4) His conversion would do much to make the home a place of rest and peace. Yet, if the unbeliever objects to the faith of his believing mate so strongly that he chooses to separate, what can the Christian do? If the believer tried to force him or her to stay, the unbeliever might make the situation so disagreeable that the Christian would be totally robbed of peace. So in the interests of peace, the believer can let the unbeliever depart. (Matthew 5:9) Only when an unbelieving marriage partner leaves can it be said: "God has called you to peace." These words cannot rightly be used to justify separation of two Christian mates on unscriptural or frivolous grounds. Every separation or divorce has its individual factors, and no "formula" covers every case. But what problems may a separated or divorced Christian face? What can be done about them? And how can others be of help? orSexual Needs Scripturally allowable separation or divorce will solve some problems. But such steps basically result in trading one set of problems for another. For instance, one divorced Christian said: "I can’t help thanking Jehovah that now I have peace." But she admitted: "It’s not easy raising children as one parent. And sometimes one can get very lonely and depressed. Even sexually it’s not easy. One has to adjust to a whole different life."

Emotional

If a Christian has a choice, therefore, he should think carefully about the possible consequences of separation or divorce. For example, consider emotional needs, perhaps a woman’s desire for male companionship. (Compare Genesis 3:16.) A divorced woman may have strong hopes of remarriage. Some desire release from a trying marriage, but are they ready to accept the possibility that there may not be an opportunity for remarriage?

Paul wrote: "If she should actually depart, let her remain unmarried or else make up again with her husband." (1 Corinthians 7:11) With some effort, it may be possible for a woman to ‘make up with’ her husband or ‘be reconciled to’ him. If Christian mates have separated, then, they should give reconciliation very serious, prayerful thought. Moreover, they should not ignore the fact that sexual impulses may pose a danger. How is God likely to view them if their failure to become reconciled should result in a fall into immorality? Illustrating this danger is the experience of a certain baptized woman. After a divorce, she began dating a worldly man, soon became pregnant, and was disfellowshipped. Although she was later reinstated, her experience emphasizes the need for caution and prayerful reliance on Jehovah so as to avoid ‘sinning against God.’ (Genesis 39:7-12) It is also obvious that emotional and sexual needs should not be minimized when separation or divorce is initially considered.

w63 9/15 pp. 571-572 When Marriage Ties Are at the Breaking Point

Absolute endangerment of one’s spirituality furnishes another basis for separation. The Christian’s relationship with Jehovah God is something to be cherished and protected. If, because of extreme measures, actual physical restraint, or similar treatment, the Christian believer finds it completely impossible to pursue true worship and to serve Jehovah God according to his Word and the dictates of a Biblically trained conscience, that one may choose separation. While the marriage partner is the closest neighbor to whom we must show love, Jesus made plain that love for God comes first. (Matt. 22:37-39) No human has the right to prevent one’s worship to God. "We must obey God as ruler rather than men."—Acts 5:29.

g02 2/8 p. 10 Marriage Should Be a Permanent Bond

Another ground for separation is the absolute endangerment of a believer’s spirituality—one’s relationship with God. When a mate’s opposition, perhaps including physical restraint, has made it impossible to pursue true worship and has imperiled the believer’s spirituality, then some believers have found it necessary to separate.—Matthew 22:37; ActKnowledge book 5:27-32.

Knowledge Book

chap.13p.122par.11WhyLivingaGodlyLifeBringsHappiness

Those living together as husband and wife should make sure that their marriage has been properly registered with the civil authorities. (Mark 12:17) They also need to view wedlock as a serious responsibility. True, separation might become necessary in cases of willful nonsupport, extreme abuse, or the absolute endangerment of spirituality. (1 Timothy 5:8; Galatians 5:19-21) But the apostle Paul’s words at 1 Corinthians 7:10-17 encourage marriage mates to stay together. For true happiness, of course, they must be faithful to each other. Paul wrote: "Let marriage be honorable among all, and the marriage bed be without defilement, for God will judge fornicators and adulterers." (Hebrews 13:4) The term "marriage bed" denotes sexual intercourse between a man and woman legally married to each other. No other sexual relationship, such as marriage to more than one wife, can be described as "honorable among all." Moreover, the Bible condemns premarital intercourse and homosexuality.—Romans 1:26, 27; 1 Corinthians 6:18.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I think you handled yourself very well. I'm impressed to see that he didn't run away but instead stood there and listened. Of course, his JW training kicked in and he started spouting erratic answers, but deep down you've placed the seed of doubt. Now it's a matter of time to see if it grows or not. I agree with other posters here that the JW's are very cunning in telling people that they will receive opposition from their family members if they study with JW's. This is exactly where they might want to corner your wife. I hope your wife can see through this facade,because if not she could be hard to convince otherwise.

I'm not surprised he was caught off guard about 1919. Although JW's read about it every now and then in the magazines, it's not stressed to them how important that date is. In fact, I doubt very few JW's ever stop and think just how important that date really is. It hinges on whether they should remain JW's or not. I personally held that date with high esteem until I found out it was all a fraud.

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

YOUr getting a lot of advice here and much of it is good (as per wt doctrine) just from what I'm reading they already turned your wife away from some of her friends. GUESS WHO'S NEXT? YOU !!!!!!!!! THEY ARE ALREADY ISOLATING HER... In my 7 years on this board I have never been popular. becauce of my hard line tactics, but hard line is all jw's respect you have to embarass them at every chance. there is no being nice to them. YOU HAVE TO EMBARASS THEM INFRONT OF YOUR WIFE, for being jw's for 30,40 ,50 years and they can't answer simple questions that took you only hours to look up. YOU have the right idea you just have to be VERY FORCEFUL with them trust me I know. If you need any help just pm me and I will make any of these jw's melt like the wicked witch from the east over the phone. rutherFRAUD THE wt exposer

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Ive only read the 1st page so far, but from what Ive read...I dont expect he'll ask you to contribute to conversations much in the future...lol. Not unless he's done a stack of research and feels armed to support his theories. You have nothing to worry about, no damage control. As long as you're not baptised, you have nothing to fear.

• Nellie
    Nellie

I've been off the board for a while and just popped on to see what was new. The FIRST thing that comes to mind after reading this thread is you must do whatever you can to protect your marriage!!! Forewarn your wife that the people in the congregation will try to make you look bad and undermine your marriage. Did you notice the info that Blondie posted? They'll show that to her and pressure her to disregard your input. Again, I don't know your history - but I imagine you came here to learn about what to do because you felt a divide at home starting. It was the best thing you could have done! The next thing is let your wife know you love her and support her and don't want to see your marriage threatened by an outside source (even a religion). I'll be sure to check back on you. Good luck!

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Married for over 20 years to an 'uber dub' things really started falling apart -- when I started having questions about our beliefs. I was not getting good answers from the elders, only warnings that: "Bro. Rabbit...remember...the demons can't read your mind, but they can hear you expressing doubts. They'll report back to SATAN and single out you and your family for an attack."

So, I tried to talk privately with my then wife, being my best friend. That progressed badly. She declared me a "Spiritual Danger" to her faith -- within a year or so, she separated on those grounds (even tho' the elders disagreed with her).

Maybe, you should 'flash foward' with your wife. Ask her point blank, if she became a JW...What if? Blood transfusions for you, her, your kids? (My JW mom died over it) What if -- you son later left the JW's? Would she do what's expected? Etc...

Let me tell you from experience...this 'spiritual endangerment' clause is a BIG, Broad, loop-hole of a road that can be used anyway a witness wants. "50 ways to leave your lover..."

Be careful, my friend

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit