Unloaded on the husband of my wife's study sister last night, how much damage did I do to myself??

by insearchoftruth 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chalam
    Chalam

They love to have Bible discussions with people. But if you don't fall in line with their point of view after a few discussions, they lose patience with you.

Yes this is my experience also with those who have come to my my door. I let think they are so used to people saying "not interested" when they open the door that they are more than happy to talk to anyone and do some "preaching".

Anyhow, I lay my cards firmly on the table early on. They realise I am not going to swap my only begotten Son of God mediator for their WT and they get fed up with me.

All the best,

Stephen

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi search those question to me would have been a dead givaway of your researching apostate sites and taking propmps from them and it will be good for him to get to know that people do this now and see the tactics for what they are.

I'm surprised on the df-ing and shunning questions he didn just show you the scripture they maybe unpopular but the scriptural support is there even if you don't like it or twist it.

1 Corinthians 5:11-13 (New International Version)

11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you." [a]

Reniaa

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I agree with Reniaa's first sentence. As a result, it would be so much better for the WTS to discontinue the preaching work, since anyone can now access "apostate" web sites and ask Witnesses embarrassing questions in the door to door work.

• Black Sheep
  • insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    hi search those question to me would have been a dead givaway of your researching apostate sites and taking propmps from them and it will be good for him to get to know that people do this now and see the tactics for what they are.

If the gentleman has any sort of critical thinking skills, he should have come to that conclusion instantly, since where do most folks start a research project now.......google, and when one types jehovahs witness, they will get to this site, amongst many many more.

I mentioned to him that one needs to be cautious at what one accepts, for there are many bitter/angry XJWs out there, so I told him I would take my information mainly from current and past publications of the wts.....but I also told him that to do a proper examination of anything, one can not only look at information provided by the organization or item being examined........

This gentleman is a very kind, very intelligent individual, but I could tell from our conversation his critical thinking skills have been very numbed over the years......

• Will Power
    Will Power

Black Sheep:thanks for posting that article piece. UNBELIEVABLE!

No wonder the average JW speaks "double speak"

Talk about having a timber in your eye.

wp

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

ISOT, I am sort of suprised as well that your speaking as you did didn't trigger the 'aposta-radar'. Surprisingly, I was able to have similar conversations lately with a man a family member of mine brought in years ago.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

By the way, when he mentions 1 Cor 5, I would point out that no where is a shunning mentioned here. I would point out that in the ancient near East having a meal with someone was much more intimate an event then we know it today. Then cross ref to 1 Thes where it says not to treat those not obedient tothe doctrine as an enemy, to stop associating yet continue admonishing as a brother... the person is still a brother...not to be shunned in any way. The WT claims, with no basis, that Thes speaks of less serious sins worthy of marking. Interestingly, the Greek renders 'quit mixing in company with' in 1 Cor is the IDENTICAL term rendered "stop associating with" in Thes....this is done to avoid the same wording and the JW notices they are giving the same message.

• Mary
    Mary

You did a fantastic job in asking him all the questions that Witnesses hate to address. And since you've never been a Dub yourself, you could not possibly 'do any damage' to yourself as there's not a damn thing they can do to you.

My question is: what did your wife think of all the questions you asked him and the fact that he essentially, had nothing to support his doctrines?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    sort of suprised as well that your speaking as you did didn't trigger the 'aposta-radar'.

I am guessing it did trigger actually, but he did not have an idea how to react, and he had offered through his wife to my wife to answer questions I had, using only the bible.......I found as long as I kept him off of comfort areas, he had no ability to critically think.....

I still think they will provide my wife a very strong caution, but not sure how it will be phrased. She will go to the book study/ministry school thing tonight, I am sort of interested to see what she is like tomorrow.

I really did not even want to talk to him the other night, but he kept opening himself up...........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit