JW Firefighters

by tresdecu 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

This looks like an interesting read. Becoming a volunteer FF is one method of getting an "in" with a department; therefore, many paid FFs are prior volunteer FFs.

P03-269 Personality and Lifestyles in voluntary firemen. By: Albuquerque, C.M. Sousa; Ribeiro, J.L. Pais; Mota, C.P. Baptista . European Psychiatry , Jan2009 Supplement 1, Vol. 24, pS1268-S1268, 1p ; Abstract: Background: The main objective of this study was to verify if the Lifestyles are related with the type of Personality of the firefighters . Another objective was to verify if stress is related with the Lifestyles adopted. Methods: This was a transversal study applied to 146 Firefighters of Leiria, with ages between the 17 and 60 years (44 female and 102 the male). We used the NEO-Pi-R to analyze Personality and the Lifestyles Appraisal Questionnaire. Results: We found a significant statistical correlation between the Lifestyle Part I (risk factors) and the Neuroticism, that suggests that these citizens tend to have a bigger risk to developing illnesses. They present higher values of concern, nervousness, hypochondriacs and they have more disability answers of coping. They tend to be emotionally unsafe, revealing, sometimes, feelings of incompetence. They also show sadness, fear, embarrassment, anger and guilt. We also found significant statistical between the lifestyle Part I (risk factors) and the Lifestyle Part II (Stress). Indicates that a higher risk of developing illness is related to higher levels of stress. It was verified that the citizens present high factors of risk for their health and that this factor helps to increase the loss of control of the perception of stress. [Copyright 2009 Elsevier] ; DOI: 10.1016/S0924-9338(09)71501-9 ; ( AN 36990578 )

Database: Academic Search Complete I know more FF's than my one nephew, in more than one locaton. Sheesh. Why would assume otherwise?

Because the only one you mentioned was your nephew, no one else, and no other location. :)
  • tresdecu
  • tresdecu
    tresdecu

oh and by the way, per the GB, Jehovah is going to destroy them all cause they're not JWs

• Dagney
    Dagney

Alrighty then. Thanks for the info. (BTW, the only "Leiria" I could find was in Portugal, 4 google pages anyway.)

No offense, but it reads like a bad horoscope, you know, any of the tendancies could show up in anybody, in any line of work. Just my opinion of the observations. In fact I have an employee right now that has most of these tendancies. I should let her know there is another field she should consider.

The point is you did assume.

And for the record, in support of your generalizations, the Fire Chief that I know was a womanizer, maybe even a misogynist...ick, many sad stories there. **sigh**

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The point is you did assume.

Granted. Assuming is not a sin; everyone has the right to base their insights upon what a person says, or in this case, what a person fails to disclose.

In addition, the headnote I posted was from a brief, cursory search from an academic database, meaning it IS valid, empirical research, and is hardly comparable to a horoscope. ;) I didn't feel like reviewing the thirty or so pages of different scholarly works on the subject.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/03/11/cnnheroes.paul.embleton/index.html

THE GOOD (or mature):

Embleton, a captain paramedic firefighter from Washington state, saw an opportunity to help.

Oh my goodness; I forgot about these guys! Again, maturity doesn't equal good/bad. Immature people can do good things.; mature people can do bad things.

I know several in this group that goes down to Guatamala. One in particular is so immature, (heavy drinker, incredibly self-centered, totally screwed up his relationship with a really, really, nice woman) that my husband and several of the guys take out travel insurance on him when he goes down there because they are convinced that his mouth will get him injured/killed on one of his trips.

He doesn't mind, and names them as beneficiaries, because part of the insurance plan pays for him to be medivaced to the US, and even he knows he's a dufus, who more likely than not, will get himself screwed up down there.

FFs...man...they are quite a group...

• Dagney
    Dagney

I didn't say it was comparable. I said it reads like a bad horoscope. It still does, empirical research or not.

Who said anything about sin? You did presume. In this case, I did ask on what basis you arrived at the average you referred to in your comment which you supplied. You did not inquire any information from me. That does not equate to "failure to disclose."

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Wow Dagney. You're getting very emotional. What does "presume" have to do with anything? Presume of whom? You? You don't determine what is or is not a sin. What are you talking about?

Failure to disclose may or may NOT apply to things specifically asked. A person can fail to disclose that the car they are selling was involved in a flood, or, a person, when asked, can fail to disclose that the car they are selling was involved in a flood. To quote you, "sheesh." Mellow out.

In fact, never mind. Clearly, you are more invested in this than I. I'm outa the office and off to have a nice bottle of red wine and a steak at my favorite restaurant. yummy...

• White Dove
    White Dove

Beer's good. I just had two with dinner The prez got me in the mood for it. Sure was refreshing.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I'm not emotional in the very least. Calm as a cucumber here. Perhaps another assumption.

You mentioned sin, not me, I have no idea why.

Okaaay...on who is more invested in this. Whatever you say.

Hope you had great dinner and a wonderful weekend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit