JW Firefighters

by tresdecu 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I am sure your PM husband loves going to calls where he can help people, instead of the "calls" where he had to leave mags

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Well Justitia, even at a family BBQ the night before my nephew has to report to work he won't even drink a beer. I'll ask him about the rest of the station. He work in the largest city in LA county, and he works at a station in the middle of gang territory.

Can you really make that comment about the "average FF?" What is your scope?

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Mike Little, spokesman and commander for the Los Angeles City Fire Department is a JW elder in a nearby congregation.

Rather an ironic occupation for someone who actually believes that God is going to rain down fire and brimstone upon the entire earth within his own personal lifespan. Wonder if he can be able to control his own involuntary instict to try to put out Armaggedon?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Can you really make that comment about the "average FF?" What is your scope?

I'm not sure what you mean by asking, "What is your scope?" If you are asking upon what basis do I make my statement, it is as follows:

1) My husband's father was an LA county FF since his youth and he retired from there. My husband has reported to me his lifelong observations.

2) My husband's decade long tenure with his own department.

3) My own experiences seeing the pictures of firefighter's at conventions in other states, with firefighters from other states, that demonstrates the drinking and womenizing that takes place within this industry and that it is not a localized problem.

4) Periodic news reports of poor firefighter decision-making that extends beyond a few rogue individuals. An example is Sacramento's issue wherein AT THE STATIONS AND WHILE ON DUTY, the firefighters were covering the apparatus bay windows with paper and bringing in strippers to perform...and yes, they touched them.

5) My own experiences at firefighter functions.

I understand there is a "hero" myth, especially since 9/11, but, it is good to remember that firefighting is a position that require only a high school education. Like all industries, it attacts a particular personality type that tends to manifest itself in certain behaviors. Computer nerds tend to act like computer nerds, and firefighters tend to act like firefighters. I do not believe that is a particularly controversial concept that needs reams of supportive empirical data. ;)

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Haha Jwoods, I liked your take on the JW FF commander. I guess when the fire + brimstone started coming down, he would remove his badge and resign or hop in the truck and try to "put out" Armageddon. good one.

Justita, I really enjoy your posts (I went back and read a few, my JWD hobby when different ones reply to my posts :-)) I just think your last sentence on this one might offend some with the "requires only a high school education" ... like because of that they act immature. I think people are people no matter how high up their education goes. There are very professional FFs, then there are the jerks (from sacremento for ex.) A good friend of mine is a nurse, and she works with some very highly educated MDs that get drunk, drive, womanize, tell crude jokes around female coworkers etc.. So I don't really think education plays into it.

just my 2 cents

Take care

TD

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

There are very professional FFs, then there are the jerks (from sacremento for ex.

Agreed. My posts have been in generalities only. There are good and bad examples in all industries.

• White Dove
    White Dove

An old friend of mine married a JW who was a FF. He later became an elder and held that station for many years with no problem. He is a paramedic FF. He's been one since the 70's.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Well I accidently deleted a post I was writing. Grrr.

I was going to have to agree to disagree with the your broad brush stroke of FF's. I see for as many womanizing, stripper touching FF's,(of which, I could care less, I say "have at it!"), there are as many if not more who are regular family men who joined the department because it was a good job with good benefits. Of course, they don't get the press or the attention.

And as far as "requires only a high school education," does the position require more education? Is it true for all departments? It seems the academies provide what is initially needed. I'll ask my nephew what the requirements are in this area. I will generalize however, that all could benefit from more education. ;-)

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I see for as many womanizing, stripper touching FF's,(of which, I could care less, I say "have at it!"), there are as many if not more who are regular family men

How did you get from my comment regarding maturity levels to the above comment? Immaturity is manifested in many more ways that just drinking and womanizing.

And, I'm truly not trying to be rude Dagney, but it appears that your knowledge of the industry is so limited that you are in no position to reach any conclusions! You simply know one FF, who is relatively new to the industry, in one location.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I was making my own comment as "I see" it. It has nothing to do with your comment.

I know more FF's than my one nephew, in more than one locaton. Sheesh. Why would assume otherwise?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit