JW Firefighters

by tresdecu 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Just curious...a good friend of mine, MS and well in tune with the borg, wants to pursue firefighting as a career. He is about 26 and wants it bad, currently he does some construction and ...ready: Windows. (hahaha yes, I know what everyone would think.) He is a good guy though. His P.O. uncle who is in his cong is strongly discouraging him, due to the fact that he would miss meetings. OH GASP, THE HORROR. and...be around "worldly people" for 24 hr shifts.

Is this something you've heard of, this specific occupation? I know as DUBs we couldn't become cops. (something I wanted as a kid) do you think the society tells the elders (maybe via a c.o.) to discourage this. Maybe his uncle is just a punk.

Poor guy, I hope he ignores the discouragement and does what he wants to do. a noble profession.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I've known a couple of dubs who were cops and carried a gun. They weren't allowed to have privileges, but it's not a disfellowship offense. A firefighter doesn't carry a weapon, but if he misses meetings he probably won't be able to stay an MS. Depends what he wants more.

• blondie
    blondie

I know of many firefighters that are jws in this area, including elders and MS. I have known elders who have jobs that take them out of town during the week and they just attended meetings on the road (they said they did anyway). The elders that stayed in town resented having to handle the load. When Wallkill was a real farm, the Bethelites who worked in that area were hardly ever seen during the summer. Their Bethel jobs came first.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

My husband was a JW firefighter. He works with a JW ministerial FF, and he just finished paramedic school with an Olympia JW minsterial FF. In addition, there is a Tacoma JW captain and a Central Pierce JW captain.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yes, we have quite a few in my area, elders and servants.

One time, the BOE decided to remove one fireman elder because of the missed meeting issue. Then he was reappointed again in a few years.

It is a great job, great benefits, and the elder mentioned above is retired now like at 55 and just travels (no pioneering I don't think), around the world. I think if your friend really wants it, it is a great profession. My nephew is one, 26, (not a JW), but he is living a great live with the mates he has, and I can see how it has matured him. He is very team oriented and focused.

The elders can make whatever rules they want, as in some will accept it and some will put it down. Please encourage your friend to pursue it if it is something he wants to do.

• chickpea
    chickpea

the KH i attended had a long time
    fire-fighter in its ranks ...

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

and I can see how it has matured him

Hmmm...all in all, I have to say that most FFs I know are very immature, regardless of their age or religious affiliation.

• outofservice
    outofservice

Yes they allow it but you do get the talk in the back, at least I did. The time you'll miss at meetings. Being a female I got the lecture about sleeping in the station with men. And finally why do you want to pursue a career (paramedic) that has no future, the new system will be here any day and your job won't be needed.Well that was over 20 years ago. I still think we need paramedic's firefighters etc..

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Weren't there some JW firefighters who died at the trade center on 9/11? I thought I remembered an article about that.

• steve2
    steve2

JW Firefighters???! I didn't realize how combustible JWs were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit