A "possible suicide" results in no JW support

by donny 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

The public needs to hear stories like this so they avoid joining in the first place.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The family should call Brooklyn, the C.O. and the D.O. Make a real fuss. They have an official statment by a medical professional. Higher ups don't usually overturn local Elders decisions, but it has happened before. This is the best chance they have at getting the service.

My personal intution tells me that there may possibly be some family rivarly going on, or at least some personal issues that go beyond the particular case in question.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The public needs to hear stories like this so they avoid joining in the first place.

By leaving the situation to sand as is, higher up Watchtower officials would be allowing for the possiblity that dedicated members of the group could possibly leave (something they usually dont care that much about), as well as create bad publicity for the local group (something they tend to care more about). This is why I think the family has a chance at getting headquarters to overrule the Elders decision. These Elders are not upholding a core policy of the WTS, but instead are using their own valuation of a situation for a particuliarly bad end.

If the family actually does get the decision overruled there is a good chance the local congregation will treat them poorly. Elders do not like being challenged and show great disrespect for those that make fools out of them.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Sounds like some incredibly stupid elders in that congregation, perhaps a near by congregation has some more reasonable elders who would conduct the memorial at the KH. The elders the woman congregation will likely get a good chewing out by the CO when he comes around. They are not even following the direction of the WTS. Can anyone say idiots.

Ruth

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

In my area there were 2 suicides within a close time frame. One was a newer sister, baptised about 3 years,very favorable unbelieving mate, very generous everyone loved her. The other was a middle aged bother with a long history of depression, whole family in the truth. The sister's funeral was just hush hush done at the funeral home. The other one was a big talk that spoke of the disease depression and a big reception after. For the life of me I didn't understand the difference.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

An elder may act according his conscience, but what has informed his conscience for years? The harsh ideas that the WT had about suicide until the 80's.

In the early 70's I did a research paper in a high school health class about suicide; what I read was really at odds with what the WT taught, essentially that suicide was self murder. Everything I read indicated that most suicides are the result of depression and mental illness; it changed my mind forever.

So, about the elder's following their conscience, I say bunko; most clergy would see it as a grace to the family and not something to be avoided because of the deceased.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

How can they think anyone that would commit suicide is ever in their right mind?

Snoozy...

• LuciousVBogeymanProd
    LuciousVBogeymanProd

Here's my video response. :oP Sorry I don't do the 'type at ya' apostasy anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gnV_9e8yQ4

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

The WTS can't handle suicides. Remember, JWs are the happiest people on the planet and they reside in a spiritual paradise. So you can forget the dead person being remember fondly or their family being helped and supported; the dead person has brought disgrace on Jehovah.

The biggest issue the WTS is faced with re. suicides is finding a big enough rug to sweep it under.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I was at a church service for a suicide victim a couple of years ago. The first words out of the minister's mouth were "there's no point in us trying to understand why..."

This flies in the face of the WTS stance, namely they need to have an answer for everything. Therefore, pretend that the unanswerable questions don't exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit