Insomniacs...your tricks for staying asleep?

by restrangled 73 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Personally I have tried Ambien,....yes puts me out but I am up in 2 to 3 hours.....heavy doses borrowed from those taking it for years. They are shocked it dosen't keep me down. I just wake up woozey....I hate it.

I can fall asleep easy but just dont stay asleep....its absolutely awful.

I wake up probably 3 times a night if not more, ....I take the dog out, whether he wants to or not, go out smoke a cig and then go back to sleep.

What I find helps me is very fresh ironed sheets with lavendar scent.....that will give me 3 hours without waking up.

The Blankets can't be too cold or too hot,..which is almost impossible to get perfect,....The pillows cant be too hard or too soft....I have at least 6 on the bed to choose from....

What the hell is wrong with me? My husband usually gets up between 5 and 6. On bad days I'll get up about 4:00 am and start the coffee. Lucky days I'll sleep till 6:30 or maybe 7:00 after being up 3 or 4 times.....at that point my Dobie Dog is getting too hungry and won't let me lollygag in bed.

Anyone else suffer from this?

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

It might sound stupid, but I substitute dinner with a bowl of this cereal:

http://www.postcereal.com/cereals/post_selects/?id=blueberry

Take care,

Ismael

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I don't know how old you are, but this is very common in peri-menopausal and menopausal women.

(Trust me......)

I sometimes take a Gravol before bed, they are great.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I know the feeling, I get very anxious thinking I'm not going to get any sleep because I have to get up really really early and have a job where I have to be "on". I think it helps to wind down early 8:30 for me, try to reduce anything stressful like talking about bills. Take a bath or shower. Lay out your stuff for the next day. Then for extra insurance I take melatonin. You can get it over the counter and it is natural. You can start at 1mg and go up to 5mg. I fall asleep easily, fall right back after I go to the bathroom. The best part is I usually wake up before the alarm goes off. Some of my friends have reported odd dreams while taking it, I haven't really noticed. Hope it helps. NMKA

• LightCloud
    LightCloud

I have found that doing a good hard work out, something along the lines of running for 45 minutes, and then 15 minutes of some strength training every day, skipping naps in the afternoon and avoiding caffiene at all cost after about noon time helps me alot. Sometimes to a 900 Mg Ibuprofen helps as it dulls the aches and pains which might bother you and wake you up at night.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I know of some horrible sleep-walking experiences with people taking Ambien. Scary. And NEVER EVER take it if you have been drinking alcohol! An essential oil massage blend of 5 drops chamomile, 10 drops lavendar, and 6 drops marjoram in 1 oz. jojoba oil helps me. Just massage around your neck and arms and back then put on some soft instrumental music and don't allow yourself to think. Close your eyes and focus on the spot between your eyes. Sweet dreams.

• Gregor
    Gregor

DING DING! Palmtree is correct. check with the doc about hormones. Speaking as an authority with a mother, 2 sisters, a wife and 3 daughters.

Next question?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Posters, all good suggestions.

But I don't have to work any more, crawl into bed at 8:00 pm most nights...been through menopause....

I might try the melatonin stuff. Tea, Wine, a hot shower, meds, no meds, workouts, no workwouts.....makes no difference, I am wide awake every 2 to 3 hours. I drive my husband nuts.

One thing...I never need an alarm clock. I have never overslept in my life!

r.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Physical activity and being out in sun during day

Magnesium before bed

When I'm up because I'm thinking about too many things, MP3 player set to relaxation tape or a book

• thebiggestlie
    thebiggestlie

cure for insomnia=any JW meeting

try a convention for severe cases

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit