How many here actually still believe that there is a God??

by annalice 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I can't.

Also, welcome Lifelong Humanist!!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

As in supernatural deity revealed via poorly written, easily falsifiable religious texts? Nope.

As in higher being evolved from rna replicating machines that got a few years head start on us and is technologically advanced? Agnostic.

As in the magnificence of mankind expressed in nobility, dignity, charity and love? Hell yes.

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

i would really like to belive that there is a god...

but everything contradicts that desire...

what i do have is a "firmish" conviction that the human spirit cannot be destroyed....

so maybe where all gods, divine.

you can say comments such as one poster as said "when you look into a babys eyes"

very beautiful.... but you can also say "when you see a baby starving to death"... you get my point.

• Humanist
    Humanist

Hi to Lifelong Humanist!! I feel the same way.

I don't believe there is a god. I respect others' viewpoints and feelings, but personally, I just can't believe in anything supernatural. I am a Humanist, as my username implies.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I believe in God or Great Spirit, a universal God that loves all of his creatures.

I'd be interested to know how many atheists/former JW's were raised in the org or raised with no religion. I think if all you have ever known is some wrathful, angry, violent, bitter, jealous, impossible to please, petty and inconsistent God.... Then finding out Jehovah is a fake god might leave you wondering if there is a god at all.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I'm not even agnostic, while I will agree and say that no one can KNOW for sure there isn't a God I do not believe in him.

I find it funny the biggest thing that convinced me that humans were animals was my own daughter's birth. I know alot of people say stuff like "It's such a miracle"; for me it so closely mirrored the births I'd seen of animals while I was still happy it was my child there was nothing special about the process. It was just like any other mammal. That really made me turn the corner to realizing that humans are nothing more than animals.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I feel no need to believe in any god be it Zeus, Mars, Apollo, Jehovah, Jesus, or Uranus. I think the idea that a god that gives rewards or punishments depending on whether you piss him off or make him happy, to be extremely anthropomorphization of god and what we humans have come to imagine a particular god to be like,, namely like us with all our hates, jealousies, loves, and needs for revenge..

Why would a supreme being who made the universe even care whether we believe in him or not. I would think with all that is going on in this universe he would be all that hurt in his feelings if I just ignored him.

I can never be so nieve as to think beauty in the universe translates to proof of a loving god, no more than I can subscribe to the opposite idea that ugliness in the universe is proof of a hating god.

• caliber
    caliber

Love-light-hope Love is light...Love is God revealed

• beksbks
    beksbks

No I do not. And the best part is, it's ok. To the two Humanists hello and welcome. Well said! It's people that count, not a superstition and what that superstition makes us do to one another in it's name. In my experience, it's those who believe in humanity who are the kindest and gentlest. Just the opposite of zealots.

Beg pardon to any of you kind and gentle zealots out there

• oldflame
    oldflame

I do with all my heart mind and strength. I have no doubt of his existence what so ever !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit