Anyone have a soft spot for old video games?

by John Doe 66 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    ... my mom and i used to stay up playing zelda, a game frowned upon by the witnesses ....

Zelda? Hell, even Super Mario Bros was frowned upon if a JW actually read the instruction booklet. It talked about "black magic" and stuff.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Oh and Angry Video Game Nerd is hilarious

I love that guy!! His videos are the best!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

A few years ago I found myself feeling nostalgic for the old Atari 2600. I went to eBay and bought a 2600 and a bunch of my old favorite games.

I played them for about 30 minutes and concluded they sucked.

• Chalam
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I played them for about 30 minutes and concluded they sucked.

LOL.

I bought an Atari Flashback 2 out of nostalgia and had a similar experience. For me old games didn't start getting good until the original Nintendo. Many of those still have great replay value.

• John Doe
    John Doe

You know, I think it's the memories of the time that the music and crummy graphics brings back rather than the actual games. ;-)

• Jack Burton
    Jack Burton

I've been playing old school Zelda the past couple weeks. First replayed Zelda 2 (I *still* remember the path through the final dungeon), then went to Zelda 1 and completely maxed out my character in both the first and second quest. Now I'm replaying Zelda 3 (SNES). I'm playing all of these on the Wii Virtual Console.

Awesome.

I've gotten my kids hooked on old schoolZelda. I tried showing them how awesome old Intellivision games were. My 13 year old son looked at me like I was off my rocker. He said, "How in the hell did you waste so much time playing these games, there's no point to most of these!" I just replied in my best Kung-Fu voice, "Someday you will understand"

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yeah kids these days...they really have no idea! I think some of those older games are quite challenging compared to modern ones. The second quest of Zelda 1 is pretty tough. I bet most couldn't get very far without cheating (reading guides on the Internet or whatever).

• crashfire451
    crashfire451

I love this thread. I started with a C128 (which I primarily used in C64 mode to play games). I remember weird knock-off games like Shamus and Kung-Fu and some Mario Bros. look-alike with really strange sound effects. Shortly thereafter I purchased a 2600 for 49.99 during the 'Under $50' campaign and loved Dig Dug and Enduro, among others. I remember playing Zelda with my cousin for entire weekends, drawing the dungeon levels on graph paper (before there were cheat books and sites). I absolutely loved Bionic Commando for the NES and played it so much that to this day the music from it takes me right back to being a kid.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy my PS3, and am continually amazed by the graphics and gameplay, but it'll never be the same.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Anybody remember the King's Quest computer game? The one where the Batmobile comes out of the cave? I mapped out all the screens. Fun game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit