The desperation of JWs hoping the end comes "soon"

by sir82 47 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa
    Aude: I would dare say millions are in that situation. Most who put the kingdom first have little to zero retirement plan.

lol......i just wondered how many in the entire world have little to zero retirement plan, or any hope of health insurance...esp in late life........i would guess the vast majority do not.......and that make me realize that most in the USA and some other affluent countries are damm lucky......obama success or not...........oompa

now i will read the best of what i bet is a good thread.........

good, i made it back in time for an edit.......good posts all....and i am so glad my jw dad had a good job for 35 years....has been debt free for prob 20 years, is retired and has a great pension!!!!......but he was always rock steady elder, but smart enough to believe "no one knows the day or hour!!!!!!"................geeze how simple is that!!!???.......and he has told me more than once he sure wises wt would stop saying that.......esp since the generation of 1914 was kicked to the curb in 1995.......

i urge ALL to ask jw family and friends why they think the end is close now that our understanding of generation 1914 has bounced all over the place and for the first time EVER there is no WT link of a scripture as to how close we are to the end, nor is there a specific teaching to explain how long the last days last........they used to teach 6000 years of creation i believe, and 6000 years of man on earth.......so why not 6000 years of a last days?!?!?!........NOBODY KNOWS so ask them to kindly show you how close we are from the bible................oompa

trust me......THEY GOT NUTTIN!!!.......AND MOST DONT EVEN KNOW IT!!!!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

This reminds me of a sad story:

This older couple in our Hall, farmers, but retired, without a penny to rub together. She pioneered for years. They moved into the city after selling the farm. A couple of years ago, he took a job delivering pizza at night to get extra money to go to the Assembly. Anyhow, he got the S%$*T beat out of him one night while delivering, robbed, broke his glasses, stole the money. He was in the hospital in one city while we all went to the Assembly 3 hours away.

My questions:

If he needed extra money to go to the Assembly, why didn't the cong take up a collection and help him out?

Did I want to be 65 years old, delivering pizza and getting beat up for extra money?

No way. I'll work my full-time job now and plan ahead, thank-you very much.....

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Generations of JW`s have died waiting for the end..

Everyone of them got thier wish,the End did Come....."Thiers"..

......................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

My 90-year-old Witness Mum - been in the "Truth"™ since the 1940's - was all excited last week.

A local brother had just returned from a convention and he reported the the convention had announced that the end was VERY CLOSE now.

Mum was ringing around telling us all the big news....

Sigh...........Makes me feel so sorry...........

Pope

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I am sure my father thought the last Memorial was THE LAST Memorial when he rang up pleading with me to go to it.

I told him he had a cheek ringing me up two hours before a Memorial, asking me to go to it, when he has had 40 years to answer my questions and hasn't gotten around to it yet.

I repeated my request for a list of Babylonian kings.

He still hasn't given it to me. I guess that the end can't have been so close after all

• I quit!
    I quit!

I feel sorry for them but at the same time how f'ing gullable can one be.

Any Witness that has a retirement has it because they, or somebody else didn't listen to the Watchtower.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

NONE of us expected "this old dying system" to go on as long as it has. I walked away from the WTS 9 1/2 years ago after 30 years of loyal servitude and worship of the Governing Body. The thing IS......that this old world is NOT as terrible as we were constantly trained to think it was.....and the people around us, for the most part, have turned out to be kind, warm and helpful no matter WHAT religion they were or I was.

It all depends on your attitude, and if you are nothing but negative, putting your life on hold forever, and never truly ENJOYING what you could BE enjoying because of the direction of delusional old men in Brooklyn......your lives are going to be as empty as the WTS promises have proven to be.

It is the ones who have stepped away from the WTS control, taken a sweet breath of fresh air....and have stopped to smell the roses instead of focusing on the thorns.

Annie

• The Berean
    The Berean

With their record of urgency combined with serving dates rather than humanity, the WBTS has climbed a hill and dug their own hole for their grave. They have few back doors left to escape from. Sad ...

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Financially speaking are non-JWs in any better situation??? I really doubt it. Generally people like to spend their money on crap they can't affort, be in debt and hope for the best. When times are good people spend more and get themselves in more debt, but a bigger home because homes will "never drop" and refinance the existing home because it needs to be renovated, but a bigger 4x4, etc.... Difference with "JW"s from others is that they think they won't have to pay off their debt because they will see Armageddon solve that problem. This is generally speaking of course. Sure there are those who gave up marriage because the end was near, or who gave up having kids because the end was close or those who sold everything and went pioneering because another dumb ass said the end was imminent - but these people are in the minority and these could be compared to people outside of WT$ who go and party or smoke away their lives. Debt problem is brought about bad education that has programmed people to believe that they can have everything today and pay for it tomorrow and "JW"s like majority of others have followed this road to poverty, sorry I won't blame Brooklyn for this.

I never followed the general rule and always had more than average person and I didn't go to collage which that I will blame for Brooklyn but financly I'm better than most people in or out of WTS. People need to get back to basics and learn to save before they go out and spend and maybe then not only "JW"s would fare better but society in general.

As for simpliflying BS - well that's just BS! We don't see WTS simplyfing so why should anyone else? It's just a good management of personal finances which may need simplyfication due to over abuse of spending habits but not simplification just because some door knob in Brooklyn says the end is near and R&F money could be better spend by being donated to WT$.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Any Witness that has a retirement has it because they, or somebody else didn't listen to the Watchtower.

I think there have always been two types of JWs (at least!):

1) Those who hedge their bets - get some education, work steady and invest, hope for the best, plan for the worst. Always one foot quietly in the real world.

2) Those who seem genetically destined to be JWs because not getting an education or planning for their financial security is actually more natural, comfortable and preferable for them. These are the people who truly would rather hunker down and give over their lives for others to decide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit