The desperation of JWs hoping the end comes "soon"

by sir82 47 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

I'm starting to sense a certain desperation among JWs, that they feel that the Great Tribulation must start soon. I think this is due, in many cases, to their own personal situation, financial or otherwise.

If the GT doesn't come soon, and these guys really start to suffer - what then? The Watchtower's promises that "Jehovah would not forsake them if they put Kingdom Interests first" by skipping or dropping out of college, turning down promotions, "simplifying" their lives by selling their homes and moving to the hinterlands...will all prove to be meaningless.

If the GT doesn't come soon, and "Jehovah" doesn't bail them out...then what?

I've written a few times about the wacko elder who often dramatically intones about how "the end isn't close...it is IMMINENT!". I just found out he is facing foreclosure on his house, and the business he founded and is co-owner of is floundering. Imagine the desperation - 59 years old and nothing to show for all those years. House gone, money gone, retirement funds gone.....

For him, the world is collapsing, so the GT must come soon - or guess what? He's another poor old man facing old age with little more than a meager Social Security check and no house, no savings, no hope. 2 or 3 decades of poverty and declining health await, if Armageddon doesn't come "soon" - so he "whistles in the graveyard", trying to convince himself that it really is "imminent"....

How many thousands, 10's of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of JWs are in that same situation?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I would dare say millions are in that situation. Most who put the kingdom first have little to zero retirement plan.

Desperation is a good way to describe their outlook.

The loving thing would be for the org to start making plans for all the 'homeless' elderly. Nursing homes - even commune-type housing - seems like it will be needed soon. At least then they legitimately be considered charitable.

-Aude.

• IronHill
    IronHill

I agree...

I can sense the desperation among my own family. Things cant possibly get any worse they say...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Let me know when they shut down your local Kingdom Hall.

I don't attend meetings, so it all sounds like the same old stuff to me.

"Just Around the Corner Since 1879!"

• sir82
    sir82

Of course the message from the top is the same - "just around the corner".

My post highlights what I perceive as a change among the rank & file. Of course they have always wanted "the new world" to arrive "soon"...but I suspect that the flock is growing increasingly anxious as it continues (130 years and counting) to delay.

I predict a lot - a LOT - more depression, mental & emotional breakdowns, maybe even violence as they either can't handle the downturn in their lives, or come to the realization that it just ain't gonna happen, despite the Watchtower's blusterings.

I.e., if you think JWs are a depressed, dysfunctional, wacky group now - just wait 3 years - you ain't seen nothing yet!

• sspo
    sspo

Glad i left after 32 years and not waste another 30.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Personally I believe that civilization may collapse within the next few decades though not for any reasons that are related to Bible prophecy let alone the JW interpretation of it. If and when it does collapse you will find JWs cheering in spite of the fact that nothing is being fulfilled the way they said it would. They will simply change their prophecies to suit themselves as they have always done. I predict that they will become one of several predatory religions in an apocalyptic world (sort of like Mad Max).

villabolo

• besty
    besty

"Just Around the Corner Since 1879!"*

*see Terms and Conditions on reverse
  • straightshooter
    straightshooter

Brother Rutherford said that "Millions Now Living Will Never Die." Half or more of the Governing Body never was around in 1935 when Jehovah was to cut off the selecting of the 144,000.

When one thinks about it, the time for the time of the end is running out. I think you are right that one can say the end is right around the corner only so long, then disappointment from reality sets in.

• mmentone
    mmentone

My inlaws are in this situation in their sixties broke and no savings about to lose their house. Its really sad but it is a choice that they made. Now they are expecting their kids and son inlaws to bail them out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit