The desperation of JWs hoping the end comes "soon"

by sir82 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I remember people telling me that I would never graduate from high school because the big A would have happened by then. Yeeaahh- I'm in my thirties now, just starting college, and recently set up a retirement account. I really, really wish that I had done those sooner.

My mom told me a while ago that if the "New World" hadn't occurred by the time she was 55 that she would start a 401k. My dad told me his plans for having their house paid off in 10 years, so it sounds like they're finally accepting that Big A isn't happening soon.

What I don't get is the WT telling everyone that Armageddon is right aroung the corner, and then with their next breath quote "like a thief in the night". Helloooo!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have seen one family setting themselves up for disaster. During the mid 1990s, they basically reduced their income so they can all pio-sneer. They dropped cable TV, and the father went from full time to part time work during either 1997 or 1998. By 2000, every single one of them is a pio-sneer. They showcased all the money they "saved" on taxes.

What they didn't say is how much they are going to lose in Social Security by doing this. Between that and the economy now, they are entering their 60s with zero savings, and they have little in the way of durable goods (all their stuff is crap, either because it is near the end of its life expectancy or because it was poor quality to begin with, or both). The children are grown--and, for all I know, still living with their parents as they get toward 30. Both of them work to support the family--and neither are married.

Within a few year, they are going to be up s*** creek without a paddle. The mother has diabetes in the family, while the father has heart disease in his side. The children are not exactly very healthy--I partially blame the food poisoner and the TV dinners they always eat, and the fast, good-tasting poison they always have for lunch to keep their field circus time going. And, between that and the fact that the IRS is still going to soak them on property taxes (they don't give a f*** about medical expenses--if you do not pay your property taxes, you are out). They are going to have a miserable time renting an apartment at that time--between poor health that will surely be theirs by that time, their not having enough money, and lousy potential to find a decent job (and that's if hyperinflation does not show up--if it does, it is going to be even worse).

This is going to put incredible stress on the children, who will be approaching 40 (and probably still not married, since they "owe it to their parents to bail them out for their stupid decisions). They will be working two jobs apiece, plus pio-sneering, to support their aging parents. That, plus the boasting session attendance, is going to lead those children to probably die before they reach 60--most likely from diabetes or heart disease, but with their p*** poor diet, cancer cannot be ruled out.

Do they hope Armageddon waits another 35 years or so? Oh well, it has already been 135 years since it was first supposed to have hit, so what's another 35. And that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag Jehovah doesn't give a f*** that they did all that to serve Him more fully. As with the stork that saved the wolf's life, you shouldn't expect any reward from serving the wicked.

• Mary
    Mary
    Financially speaking are non-JWs in any better situation??? I really doubt it. Generally people like to spend their money on crap they can't affort, be in debt and hope for the best.

You're right----there are a ton of irresponsible people out there who have just as little as the Witnesses do. One glaring difference I find though is that 'worldly' people will at least pay into a pension plan at work. What bothered me more than anything is that many from my fathers' generation were specifically told NOT to pay into company pension plans because 'Armageddon will be here long before you retire.' The Society has never apologized for their goons giving this sort of advise, or even acknowledged how many lives its' ruined. I know of brothers in their 80s that have to perform hard manual labour just to keep a roof over their head because they purposely did not pay into a company pension plan in the 1950s, believing the New System would be here by the time they turned 65.

A couple of years ago, he took a job delivering pizza at night to get extra money to go to the Assembly. Anyhow, he got the S%$*T beat out of him one night while delivering, robbed, broke his glasses, stole the money. He was in the hospital in one city while we all went to the Assembly 3 hours away. My questions: If he needed extra money to go to the Assembly, why didn't the cong take up a collection and help him out?

Ha! Surely you jest. Witnesses are not encouraged to do take a collection up for anyone, unless the CO's visiting. You will occassionally get a congregation who will try and raise money for a fellow Witness to get medical treatment in Mexico, and if a family member dies, generally someone organizes getting the family meals for a few weeks, but that's about it. Getting to the ASSembly is your own responsibility and if you can't afford it, that's your problem. I wonder if anyone in this guys' congregation felt the slightest twinge of guilt that he got the hell beaten out of him for trying to get enough money together to go to the ASSembly.......They'll probably use him as an example on the platform one day and compare him to the Apostle Paul.

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

Mary's response just reminded me of when I was a teenager, I had totally forgotten this.

There was this old brother in the hall who was married and was very poor. He had mental problems and acted really crazy but he was always so zealous for the preaching work. What he did to make money was collect soda cans, they had nothing to live on. As a kid I always thought that was so sad. But no one in the hall would help the couple with money now this was in the early 80's. One winter day he did not come home and they finally found him dead frozen to death in an alley where he had fallen getting his cans. he was so old he just could not get up by himself after he had fallen. The brother had always kind of creped me out as a kid but I remember feeling so sad and no one else seemed to be sad or even bothered by the fact that he died that way. It was like oh well that was just crazy old Joe for you, Jehovah will remember him in the new system at least.

Why or why did I not wake up back then and see that this is all crap. As a teenager it really bothered me how cold everyone was to his death. I had totally forgotten this until Mary said something that reminded me of him.

This is really just a very sad religion.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

This desperation can easily identified in the eyes of the old JW's. I know many, now in their late 60's and 70's that gave all of their life to the WT putting their eggs in one basket. They have seen the "generation" change that personally I believe marked the countdown of the WT.

Before 1995 JW's have something to hope for: That soon Armageddon will solve all of their problems...Eventually another false expectation came, without seeing the end and scattered their dreams for a "new world"...I see my mother at mid 60's still hoping that the end will come SOON!!! She always telling me that we are deep in the last days and Armageddon is about to start...unfortunately their hopes of a new system will never come true just like it happened with the Bible Students in 1914, 1925, JW's 1975 and final with the generation change 15 years ago...

JW's at 40's-50's most of them children in the 1975 fiasco, I consider them as the victims of WT's paranoia, that the end will come soon. Many left school like my self to become pioneers since Armageddon will put an end to this world and all we needed was WT's books and magazines to survive from the coming catastrophic event. Most youths at my age have been mislead by the leadership of the WT that we would NEVER GROW OLD and we would have a family in the new system.

Most of them left WT and those who are in still strugle with financial problems due to their lack of education. I have seen that most of my schoolmates(wordly)are in good financial state enjoying their life, have a good career, while on the contrary due to the fact of leaving school created me lot of problems, specially to build a career. After leaving WT I tryied to build a career besides the difficulties and really it took much of my efford and time. I'm 15 years behind schedule and this is a terrifying since my "wordly friends" have been educated, created a career, and all this until their early 30's, while I started doing that to the early 40's!!!

Still I'm seeing that WT keeps the same boring tune: Don't educate, wordly education is worthless, the end is NEAR, pioneer...I don't know how long JW's can stand this crap and the leadership of that cult to mess up their lifes, but what I'm sure of WT dig their own grave due to their stupid policies...JW's are humans like everyone they wish to have normal life, good job that pays you enough to have a good life.

• blondie
    blondie

I might mention that self-employed people in the US are required to pay a self-employment tax to the IRS that is similar to the monies that are paid by an employer for social security out of their wages. Then when they qualify for Social Security, the government pays them based on this.

Most people who pay into Social Security work for an employer. Their employer deducts Social Security taxes from their paycheck, matches that contribution and sends taxes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and reports wages to Social Security. But self-employed people must report their earnings and pay their taxes directly to IRS. You are self-employed if you operate a trade, business or profession, either by ­yourself or as a partner. You report your earnings for Social Security when you file your federal income tax return. If your net earnings are $400 or more in a year, you must report your earnings on Schedule SE in addition to the other tax forms you must file.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10022.html#pay

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I have seen this same desperation and can say that I am truly sorry for some of them. While I realize that nobody has any real security, I knew I had to work and provide for myself and had no illusions about anything. It has nothing to do with being 'materialistic' as some would say. I visited the congregation some months back and heard people crying the blues about the economy, etc. I am glad I am no longer active because I do not want to be targeted by desperate individuals. It would be too upsetting and depressing.

LHG

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I have seen this same desperation and can say that I am truly sorry for some of them. While I realize that nobody has any real security, I knew I had to work and provide for myself and had no illusions about anything. It has nothing to do with being 'materialistic' as some would say. I visited the congregation some months back and heard people crying the blues about the economy, etc. I am glad I am no longer active because I do not want to be targeted by desperate individuals. It would be too upsetting and depressing.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit