Times *I've* confronted people (strangers) for being rude...

by Kudra 53 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hey K, you wanna here another good one? OK!

I used to be a manager at one of the large bookstores, and on my very first day in that position I had this experience with an employee. It was christmas time, and we were as busy as you could imagine. Six registers going, and a looooong line. A customer was picking up a book which had been ordered, those were all kept up behind the registers. The clerk who was handling it, could not find the book. So she called the person who does holds up from the back room to help find it. Now this person works in peace, away from the customers. Anyway she came out front, into our chaos and extreme customer density, looked on the shelf, and found the book. As she handed it to the first girl (who was right next to me), she said in a voice just loud enough to be heard by me so I would assume the customer heard it also, "It was right there! Fuuuuuu*k". I nearly fell over. I had to go "council" her of course. Which was actually kinda funny, because all I had to do was approach her, and she fell apart, she knew how wrong she was.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Oh Flipper! You and I and Kudra need to take this show on the road!

One christmas I was at a tree lot, and the lady in charge was being so rude and disrespectful to the guy who does all the work. He was totally nice, being good to the customers and working his buns off. She kept on harassing him, until I said I wouldn't buy a tree from someone who treated thier employees that way. Hehe, took my kids and stomped off.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I guess I would have not said the "pissed off" line but made it more about HIS inappropriate behavior and not your reaction.

Believe me, that line was watered wayyyy down from what was actually going through my head at the moment. But yeah, I can see your point. And it's not something I've ever said to a customer before. At the time, I just really didn't care.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Home Depot is pretty good for customer service.

Sometimes you have to walk through a couple of aisles to find someone but when you do they are the best. They help you find what you need- walking to the spot with you. They often times try to help you think of ways to attack a problem if you are trying to find a way to fix something. Yesterday I had a woman in the plant department try to get me a discount on something and she really didn't have to.

I'd give HD a 93% any day.

-K

• Kudra
    Kudra

I love this stuff.

You have to read some books by Carl Hiaasen. He takes this behavior/counterbehavior to the extreme.

The best for this is "Sick Puppy".

You have to read it. The first thing the protagonist does is, after seeing a rich asshole in a convertible toss garbage out onto the roadside is follow him to a restaurant and, while he is there with his young Barbie-date, take a garbage dumpster and overturn in into the interior of his convertible car.

It gets better (and more creative) from there.

Hiaasen's themes in his books often center around getting back in horrible ways at jerks who mistreat nature, women and children.

Awesome books.

-K

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'd give HD's about a 60%; but then again, I practically live there some days.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    You have to read some books by Carl Hiaasen. He takes this behavior/counterbehavior to the extreme.
    The best for this is "Sick Puppy".

Thanks for the rec. I've been needing to find some fiction I could get into. That sounds like a good starting point.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Way to go, Kudra! I think it's good to let people know when they aren't doing something appropriate.

Several years ago, a teenage boy was walking down my street and saw a Grackle a few feet over by the fence running parallel to the sidewalk. He did a quick look around and then started advancing on the bird. I was watching him from my back deck and yelled out:

"Hey! What the hell are you doing?"

He stopped abruptly and turned around looking for who was yelling at him. He couldn't see me at first so he mouthed back, "What?"

I yell back, "Is that your property? Get off! And leave the bird alone. Show some respect!"

We had been having a lot of vandalism is the area by the teens. This kid didn't think anyone was watching him so I caught him off guard and he skulked away. It felt good to show him people won't put up with their crap.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I used to participate in an etiquette forum. It eventually imploded because it had become so culty--right down to mass shunnings and witch-hunt-style bannings, but that's another story. Anyhoo, etiquette can be taken too far, and when used as a moral superiority tool, unhealthy.

They used to say it's impolite to tell someone they're being impolite. They finally acquiesced--there are certain circumstances under which standing up for the fair treatment of self and others allows for a person to speak up. Their definition of these circumstances was much more narrow than mine.

The stories told on that forum were outlandish. Either people are really terribly rude, or the posters on that forum embellished to gain attention. Here's one. I'll let you judge the relative truthfulness of it.

In Burger King a Miss Manners type was sitting at a table next to a woman. The woman changed tampons at the table, dropped the used one on the floor, kicked it away from her, and continued eating without washing her hands. Miss Manners said, "Oh ma'am! You dropped your tampon!"

ROFL

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

There's a senario where these kids meet you later in the carpark and you get a knife in you back! Watch yourself!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit