Times *I've* confronted people (strangers) for being rude...

by Kudra 53 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

It depends on my mood, if I confront a rude person. I try hard to just ignore em and go on my way. But if my mood is just right and the rudeness factor enough to push me over the edge, I'll say something.

One of my pet peeves...unruly children in restaurants.

I'm not talking McDonald's. Fast food places are designed to attract children and parents, so I understand there is going to some amount of childish behavior in those places...

I'm talking a nice sit-down, mid- to upper-scale restaurant. The unruly behvior of children in these places is unaccaptable. I'm paying top dollar for not just my food and wine/cocktail but for the atmosphere and decor. I want the full experience of the event. And having some snot-nosed, crumb-crunching, ill-mannered, spoiled brat running around disrupting everyone's meal will send me into a fit. I'll start by trying to get eye contact with the parent. If they see enough people glancing at them, maybe they'll get the hint. If that doesn't do it, I will say something. I have before and I've been an asshole about it. If people can't control their kids any better, then go to McDonald's or better yet, stay home and let civilized people enjoy their meal in peace.

It's not really the kid's fault...it's the parents. Kids don't know what they haven't been taught. But the parents are adults and should know...and should be training their kids. If they don't, they'll get a quick lesson if their kids mess up my meal.

• beksbks
    beksbks

VIII, sometimes people just don't think. If we point out glaring examples in a non confrontational way, just maybe it will move down the line. My goal has always been to have the person in front of me leave smiling, even if they came up grouchy as hell. It started when I was a bank teller in my youth (and let me tell you, bank customers can be some of the grouchiest!). It was my own little personal challenge. I like to think they will pass it on to the next person they come in contact with.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I do not think it is rude to interupt them if the employee has not so much as even glanced in my direction

But that is not the case here Snake. And there is a clearly marked line. So not only are they interupting my interaction with my current customer, they are ignoring the people who are next.

If you are in line at the checkout counter then the employee does not need to acknowledge you before finishing with their current customer.

But if there isn't a line or checkout and an employee is going on and on with a customer and even appears to be socializing more then helping. They really need to at least briefly make eye contact with me or say "I'll be right with you", or I probably will interupt them.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Kudra

• Kudra
    Kudra

That made ME mad to read it, JD. I can totally picture that happeneing.

The guy was embarrassed. But tried to play it off by being smirky.

I guess I would have not said the "pissed off" line but made it more about HIS inappropriate behavior and not your reaction.

Like- you could have made a big deal about how irresponsible he was and that behavior like his makes high prices for the next customer- indicating to the other people in line- nothing gets people to shape up like the threat of judgement by their peers.

-K

• flipper
    flipper

KUDRA- I had an interesting experience at a McDonald's about 10 years ago sitting at a table with my teenage children. A counter worker who was either autistic or slightly slow with a learning disability had forgotten to bring my children and I part of our order. I mentioned it in a kindly manner and she said, " I'm so sorry, I will get the rest of your order. " I thought she was polite- no big deal , this kind of thing happens all the time. She brought the rest of our order , I said, " Thank you " and the counter lady was kind and continued apologizing . I said, " No problem , don't worry about it. "

Then when she went back behind the counter the 30 something yr. old manager - a guy - proceeded to yell at her terribly about , " You don't DO THAT to customers ! You don't inconvenience them like that ! " The poor lady was crying and in her best attempt was trying to explain that she DID fix the problem and she asked the manager to please stop yelling at her ! Well- I have a justice streak a mile long and I saw all I could take. So even though my teenagers were a bit embarrassed I went up to the counter to talk to this manager ! I explained to him that I just heard the manner in which he was talking to his employee and I was totally offended by it. I further explained that the employee had given us GREAT service, everything was FINE - and that she took care of any problems that occured ! Also I asked the mamager for the name of HIS supervisor so I could report HIM for abusing his authority and abusing his employee ! He backed down pretty fast apologizing through his A$$ about how he handled the situation incorrectly ! But I thought it taight my children a good lesson to stand up on behalf of people being abused by authoritative figures !

My wife told a big group of kids one time to stop throwing rocks at water snakes that were harmless one time ! People just don't respect nature ! Wife and I are nature lovers

• Kudra
    Kudra

HUGE high-five, Flipper.

• Kudra
    Kudra

beks:

If we point out glaring examples in a non confrontational way, just maybe it will move down the line.

I agree- Not to be self-righteous, but I believe that we (this means anyone to takes the time to act) can raise the conciousness of others towards irresponsible behavior.

-K

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The problem with the example of the wire is that HD and Lowes are notorious for NOT having a person to help you when you need it... so it's hard to fault someone for taking matters into their own hands.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    The problem with the example of the wire is that HD and Lowes are notorious for NOT having a person to help you when you need it... so it's hard to fault someone for taking matters into their own hands.

Our store is ranked at 92% for customer service based on our customer feedback to an independant company. There was no shortage of associates on the floor on this day, and the customer never hit the call box. In fact, we have implemented a system in which associates take turns standing at the entrances throughout the busiest parts of the day, and will radio for other associates in the store to meet the customers who come in, as well as direct the customers exactly where they need to go. In short, there was no excuse for this 'tard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit