Is God's name absent in the Christian Scriptures?

by Spike Tassel 163 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Spike,

I do not clearly differentiate the "LORD" and "Lord".

John 10:30 (New International Version)

30 I and the Father are one."

Neither does the bible. For example... Who is the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End, the Alpha and the Omega? Who is the the Lord of Lords? Who is the King of Kings? Who is our Rock? Who is our Salvation? Who is the Creator? Who's Spirit is the Holy Spirit? Who is the Everlasting Father? Who is God Almighty? Mighty God? Who is the Holy One of Israel? The Holy One? Let me know if you need the verses to answer the questions. All the best, Stephen

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I have the UBS Hebrew NT you mention, Mr. Possible. What I would like now also is a transliteration [=rômaji] and a word-by-word [=tango zutsu] translation [=hon'yaku] with the UBS Hebrew NT. It would be helpful to know where I can find such for a reasonable [=datô] price.

Also, Mr. Possible, in my honest opinion, I can speak with Mr. Chalam myself with improving understanding, just as I can with you, Mr. Possible. None of the three of us [or anyone else] should feel embarrassment [=haji; tomadoi] or as though we are the victim of something malicious [=akui ni michiteiru; ijiwaru (na)] from each other. I do not feel such a thing about you, Mr. Possible, nor about Mr. Chalam. Each of us is trying his best to communicate clearly despite our definite differences in understanding and native culture. By the way, my knowledge of Japanese translations [=hon'yaku] is from consulting [=shiraberu] my Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary by Seigo Nakao. I wish reconciliation [=nakanaori] and goodwill [zen'i] to you, Mr. Possible, and Mr. Chalam, also.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Stephen, when John 10:30 (NIV) says "I and the Father are one" it does NOT say "I and the Father are one and the same".

So, because the Hebrew is different between LORD [YHWH, Jehovah] and Lord, then so should we. After all, LORD [YHWH, Jehovah] is intended as a personal name, whereas Lord is a title only. After all, Sarah called Abraham Lord in her heart. Was she then thinking that Abraham was YHWH. I think not. I am interested in what the accurate spirit of the Scriptures dictates. May you and I be one, just as Jehovah and Jesus are one, along the lines of John 17:21.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Spike Tassel.

I have the UBS Hebrew NT you mention, Mr. Possible. What I would like now also is a transliteration [=rômaji] and a word-by-word [=tango zutsu] translation [=hon'yaku] with the UBS Hebrew NT. It would be helpful to know where I can find such for a reasonable [=datô] price.

Sorry.
    I do not know the information which you need.

Probably, you can search by Google or Amazon.
    Since you can speak English, you can search more skillfully than I.

But I tell you some information which I know for you.

(MP3) Hebrew New Testament (1982, UBS; J22); (To tell you the truth, the author of that website is requiring e-mail.)
    http://www.ritd.org/audio.html

(Transliteration, PDF) Hebrew New Testament (1885, Salkinson-Ginsburg; J18)
    http://www.bayithamashiyach.com/Scriptures.html

(PC software) THE PARALLEL TRANSLITERATED NEW TESTAMENT (Since I do not have this software, I cannot explain it.)
    http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Online_Store/Books/Parallel_NT/parallel_nt.html

possible
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Thank you, Mr. Possible, for these links. I find http://www.bayithamashiyach.com/Scriptures.html especially helpful as it includes both OT and NT (with archaic Hebrew, modern pointed Hebrew, transliterated Hebrew, polytonic Greek, word-by-word gloss, and English for each verse) although the site still estimates a 2012 date before it is completely colour-coded the way they want it. It is very nice to see the Tetragrammaton in the NT. I looked at Matthew 1:20 as an example, and see the Tetragrammaton transliterated as Yahúwah. Thanks again for your help in these matters.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Spike Tassel.

I looked at Matthew 1:20 as an example, and see the Tetragrammaton transliterated as Yahúwah.

Although that is the Hebrew New Testament of "J18" fundamentally, original spelling is not "Yahuwah" but "Yehowah."
    http://dvar-adonai.org/

But Jews do not usually pronounce the divine name.
    They usually pronounce as "ADONAI."

I think that the reason the divine name was written as "kyrios" in the New Testament is this, IMO.
    And I think that Jesus Christ did not pronounce the divine name, either.
    But it does not mean that Jesus Christ did not use the divine name.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/174104/1/Nehemia-Gordon-and-the-pronunciation-of-the-tetragrammaton

Probably, I think that the translator of "J18" did not pronounce the divine name as "Yahuwah/Yehowah."
    So, that is an understanding of the author of that website, IMO.

possible

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, opinions, and evidence.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Spike,

No stress-that's cool :)

OK here's another

Stephen, when John 10:30 (NIV) says "I and the Father are one" it does NOT say "I and the Father are one and the same".

Maybe, maybe not. If you do some study on the list of names I posted, you will see Jesus and the Father have exactly the same names on multiple occasions!

Who is the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End, the Alpha and the Omega? Who is the the Lord of Lords? Who is the King of Kings? Who is our Rock? Who is our Salvation? Who is the Creator? Who's Spirit is the Holy Spirit? Who is the Everlasting Father? Who is God Almighty? Mighty God? Who is the Holy One of Israel? The Holy One?

Also, consider this verse.

Matthew 28:19 (New International Version)

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

Does Jesus command baptism in the name or names? There are serious implications here.

I take you point about Lord with regards to God and Abraham. I agree, there are many "Lords". the question is how many "Lord of Lords" are there?

I have the same name as a certain saint in the bible Acts 6 However, just because we share the same name, it does not mean I think I am "one with him", save he is my spiritual brother. However, Jesus was making quite a different claim in John 10:30. After all, the Jews wanted to stone Him because they did not agree with His claims. Eventually got their wish and Jesus was killed.

Luke 5:21 (New International Version)

21 The Pharisees and the teachers of the law began thinking to themselves, "Who is this fellow who speaks blasphemy? Who can forgive sins but God alone?"

All the best, Stephen

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

God forgives by means of Jesus. We need them both. And the Father is greater than the Son. Yadda, yadda, yadda. End of argument.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Philippians 2:5-7 (New International Version)

5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    7 but made himself nothing,
    taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.

You can play ping pong all day long but the verses speak for themselves and all return shot by themselves. Even verse 7 cries out that Jesus is God, not "a god". All the best, Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit