I thank my God Jehovah for keeping me healthy - Serena Williams

by Earnest 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Earnest
    Earnest

A woman with the courage of her convictions, and 2009 Wimbledon champion.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

Yeah I'm sure Jehovah helped to keep her healthy while millions starve.

• Earnest
    Earnest

I understand her expression of faith in the same way as believers thank God for the food prior to a meal, even though millions do not have the same amount of food. Her sentiments are much the same as those expressed by believers throughout the Bible.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Her Sister was not so "blessed" when she was randomly shot to death on the street.....Jehovah "works in mysterious ways."

• carla
    carla

That's real nice of jah to keep her healthy while her fellow peon jw sisters & brothers would have been df'd for doing many of things she & her sister do all the time. Did she run around with a US flag after this win?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

allot of money for healthcare helps too!

purps

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I always thought it was silly for sports people to thank God or Jesus or Allah or whoever for this stuff.
    Why would God care who won a sports competition? But her comment is no better, no worse than anyone else's doing it.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Does anyone realize how good Serena has it?

By that I mean, if she wants to say she worships Jehovah, so what? She obviously doesn't give a rats ass about the GB, or else she wouldn't be a rich, globetrotting tennis player.

If she wants to worship "Jehovah" on her own terms, I think it a slap in the face of the GB. Do I agree with her? Of course not. But I LOVE that she does what she wants.

At some point, when her tennis career is over, she will remember what her travels and the meeting of all kinds of different people have taught her. I doubt very seriously that she will ever be a traditional JW. Maybe claiming that she woships "Jehovah" is as far as it will get with her.

I for one, congratulate her.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

Yeah, I like it that she has given the GB the two fingered salute. I know she infuriates a lot of witnesses LOL.

• Earnest
    Earnest

She did not thank God for winning the tournament, which imo would have been inappropriate. But an expression of thanks for having life and health is quite courageous in a public arena. She did not make a big thing of it but offered that thanks before thanking her family, friends etc for their support.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit