I thank my God Jehovah for keeping me healthy - Serena Williams

by Earnest 36 Replies latest jw friends

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

I'm expecting her pushing involvement with professional sports has put herself and her sister under somewhat scrutiny by

the elders in their Hall. This announcement may have been an intensional plug for the organization to cool down the heat so to speak.

Its quite common for JWS to prop up celebrities that are said to be JWS and maybe even treat them with kid gloves.

Its sadly comical when a professional athletic thanks god for their success in their field of sport. Of course eating nutritional food , training

and genetic attributes had nothing at all to do with their success. The bullshitters and god are a winning team and they are cashing in.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Wonder what I would have to do for Jehovah to make me healthy.

Wonder what I did wrong that he didn't.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Yes and it was nice of Jehovah to single her and her sister out to allow them to play a professional sport while ever day other Witness children are told that they aren't allow to participate in any sports programs because it is against their religion. I would like to see a reporter ask her why other JWs can't play sports and she can. Then I'd love to see her take a real stand and publicly state the Watchtower is wrong when tells children participation in sports is wrong. The whole thing on both her part and the Watchtower's is ridiculously hypocritical. Why doesn't the WT kick her butt out if what she is doing is so bad no other JWs can do it. So why is it that she thinks Jehovah would keep her healthy so she can do something by his standards she shouldn't be doing?

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Serena Williams

Born:26-Sep-1981
    Birthplace:Saginaw, MI

Religion:Jehovah's Witness
    Race or Ethnicity: Black
    Sexual orientation: Straight

Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: Winner of 18 Grand Slam titles

Serena Williams is a world-ranked professional tennis player, one of very few African-Americans to dominate that sport. Her sister Venus Williams is also a top-ranked player. Serena is three inches shorter, 25 pounds lighter, and a year younger than Venus. Their father, Richard Williams, has coached and, some say, harangued the girls since childhood -- or even earlier. He says he was watching tennis on TV in 1978, and when he saw how much prize money could be won, he decided on the spot that tennis winnings could be his family's path to success. He started talking his wife -- already the mother of three girls from a previous marriage -- into having more children.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Why would God care who won a sports competition?

Colossians 3:23-24 (New International Version)

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Brazil Team Praising Jesus

Kaká : I belong to jesus

All the best,

Stephen

• Earnest
    Earnest

Fair comment, slim. But isn't it like Paul says

...he who eats, eats to Jehovah, for he gives thanks to God; and he who does not eat does not eat to Jehovah, and yet gives thanks to God...both if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. Therefore both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah.

I don't think she believes Jehovah has especially chosen her to keep her healthy anymore than he has miraculously provided food that is thanked for prior to a meal. It is simply an expression of faith.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

Honestly, the idiocy of thinking that God or Jesus are bothered about how hard we try at sports or anything for that matter. When there is unimaginable suffering going on for some people who have no means to do or try anything, while God smiles with approval at rich sports stars or even relativley comfortable people like us in the West.

If I was God, sports events would not even register with my consciousness, I would be focussed on helping people in real need, especially children, after all he does call himself a loving father doesn't he?

• frozen one
    frozen one

Who did Venus thank getting beat?

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

She might even get a big thank you for giving the organization a plug next time she attends their hall.

I bet the elders in their hall also know quite clearly who puts in the most contributions $$$

Hence the preferential treatment.

Money speaks many languages doesn't ?

Serena Williams winnings as of to date are at over $30,000,000.00, not including endorsement earnings !

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I always find this funny cause while other cult like religions would be able to use this to recruit, its probably the last thing Dubs want to hear.

Think of all the questions it raises. Isn't Jehovah her sisters god too? I thought he didn't have impartiality? Both of them are dating cats that are not witnesses and yet Hehovah seems to be blessing them greatly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit