Awake! Quotes a Well-Known ex-JW Apostate in Support of Their Beliefs!?!

by Oubliette 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Phizzy: Of course, the lazy, uneducated G.B will never pick up on it, so the guy who does what we see above picks up this Month's prize for publishing B.S.

I'm sure you're right. Even if the tools that wrote the article and cited Bergman know who he is, they are counting on the fact that the average JW will NOT know who he is and that they will also NOT do an internet search to verify his credentials or the lack thereof.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Now that I have read Bergman's biography and a few of his articles that he has published, I will no longer be using Bergman as any kind of authority whatsoever...

I offered that position as my own many years ago and caught a lot of flake from the ex-JW community for saying so. Didn't matter to me. The man attributes things to sources those sources do not say. Case closed in my book.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Phizzy

We used to have a similar competition in my K.H, where you would give what seemed to be a correct, and even erudite, answer, that was total rubbish, I won a few times, but we had one Champion who was beyond brilliant.
    I am amazed he is still a JW.

Now that sounds like a good game!

Any examples? I would like to play it myself.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Oubilette: That being said, and we are getting a bit off topic (but only a bit), obviously there are illegitimate diploma mills in the U.S., but a PhD program at a University of California or equivalent is a very rigorous undertaking.
    I'm currently looking at a PhD in Learning Sciences from the University of Indiana. Here's the program:

Yes, some of the Phd programs in the US are very rigorous.

Oubilette, what are the requirements for qualifying for admission into the Phd program at the University of Indiana?

But...back to Mr. Bergman.

Here are a couple links that will clarify that

1.) he was a Jehovah's Witness but is no longer

2.) Bergman is adamant that the Watchtower is dishonest

http://freeminds.org/psych/bergmancritique.htm

http://freeminds.org/psych/bergmancritique2.htm

I realize that I had said that I wouldn't be using him as a credible authority - and what I meant is that I wouldn't reference him in a research paper for psychology or anything scientific. Not that I have any plans of writing papers in those disciplines....

However, just because Bergman has had his credibility questioned regarding his scientific credentials, I think it is important to give him credibility as an exJW. He does have extensive knowledge of the WTS and its workings and he has revealed many valuable details in an interview he did with Jennifer Henderson concerning Hayden Covington.

http://www.freeminds.org/history/covington2.htm

I agree with Oubilette - it is truly ironic that the WTS is using Bergman as a credible 'scientific' source when Bergman himself accuses the Watchtower of dishonesty. Actually, it is more humorous than ironic.

An exJW 'apostate' being quoted in the Awake! magazine. And not only that, the exJW apostate is on record as accusing the Watchtower of dishonesty.

It is hilarious.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

When I saw his name in that quote I thought it must be a different person but it is the same Dr Berman that is a well know apostate. http://creation.mobi/dr-jerry-bergman

That is terribly poor research on the part of the Awake! Hilarious.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

jwfacts: That is terribly poor research on the part of the Awake! Hilarious.

It really is. This is just astonishingly bad "research," really incomprehensibly bad.

Orphan Crow: An exJW 'apostate' being quoted in the Awake! magazine. And not only that, the exJW apostate is on record as accusing the Watchtower of dishonesty. It is hilarious.

Yes it is. Really gives the lie to the WTBTS's claim that they research all things diligently!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

In summary, the Writing Department insists on using only material that is accurate and truthful, even regarding seemingly insignificant details. As a result, “the faithful and discreet slave” can consistently supply spiritual food that brings honor to “the God of truth,” Jehovah. - 2011 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    It seems money can buy you anything in the US, inc. a phd. I will grant in blighty a prince of the realm can get into cambridge as an undergrad with a bunch of c grades, but thats as easy a ride as you can get, and as I say...you gotta wave a crown for a swerve like that. If we start shunning you will you ask to come back ? We will even teach you how to play cricket and real football.
  • steve2
    steve2

Gee - that's from 4 years ago. Just shows that if you appear to be a well-credentialed individual, and say something that is seemingly supportive of the JW worldview, there is a high likelihood you'll be cited.

Regarding Bergman (aka Havor Montague): There has been periodic questioning of his professional credentials - the questioning has arisen for a number of reasons, chief of which has been the kinds of claims he has made over the years about himself. He is perhaps best known for his "research" (please note the inverted commas) on JWs - "research" that was initially lavishly praised and cited by rival religious groups.

He asserted that the incidence/prevalence of mental health problems among JWs was a specified percentage (30%?) higher than the general population - based on clinical anedcote, without defininig "mental health problems" or stating which "general population he was talking about. Little wonder his "research" was published in religious and nonscientific publications.

The early ex-JW groups lapped up his "research" so excitedly they failed to scrutinize his many unsupported claims. Among other things, his work lacked scientific rigor - and he never advanced alternative hypotheses for his "findings" (again, note the inverted commas).

Unfortunately, Bergman/Montague was as quick to premature conclusions as his admirers, and despite appearances, his "research" was anything but.

There have been threads on this forum on Bergman/Montague over the years - but I'm not sure how to access them.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Steve2: Regarding Bergman (aka Havor Montague): There has been periodic questioning of his professional credentials - the questioning has arisen for a number of reasons, chief of which has been the kinds of claims he has made over the years about himself.

I didn't know that Bergman also published under the name "Havor Montague".

A quick search turned up this little book he published back in 1979 about blood transfusions.

https://books.google.ca/books/about/Jehovah_s_Witnesses_and_Blood_Transfusio.html?

I wonder whether he was pro-blood or if he supported the WTS' bloody ban - he did his research on mental illness and the JWs before he published the blood transfusion pamphlet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit