Awake! Quotes a Well-Known ex-JW Apostate in Support of Their Beliefs!?!

by Oubliette 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I spoke to Bergman a couple of times over the phone in the early 1980s when the infamous purge of apostates was taking place. He came across as very resentful of his experience with the JWs (not that I blame him). He did a lot of good serving as an expert witness in JW custody trials. I believe I may still have his booklet on blood transfusion.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Village Idiot: I believe I may still have his booklet on blood transfusion.

I would really like to read that. Would you be able to scan it? Please? Pretty please... :)

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

OrphanCrow, "I would really like to read that. Would you be able to scan it? Please? Pretty please... "

Orphan, I don't have scanning equipment and if I still have Bergman's booklet it will be buried in a pile of trash in my infernal garage. I will try to look for it though when I have the time. I might make some photocopies and mail them to you if you wish. I'll remember you if I find it and give you a PM.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Thank you, VillageIdiot. :)
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Maybe they are so desperate to find quotes to support their ideas they will quote anyone.

The GB are probably thinking "dammit, shoulda sent more bethelites off to scientist school, oh I know lets quote Caleb and Sophia they go to school don't they"

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

If the Watchtower will stoop to misquoting legitimate scientists, why would they not quote a a former JW? They don't care if he is discredited or apostate, they know the faithful rank and file don't know anything about him and won't question anything printed by the Watchtower.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ sparrowdown...

They've quoted "experts" who were downright kooks.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Steve2: Regarding Bergman (aka Havor Montague): There has been periodic questioning of his professional credentials

That's not really relevant to the point of this thread. From the WT point of view, Bergman IS an apostate and yet they quoted him in support of their views.

• steve2
    steve2

You could have a point Oubliette. On the other hand, some of the criticism levelled against Bergman by other ex-Witnesses in the past would likely not have gone unnoticed by the organization.

I allow for the likelihood that by selectively quoting him, the organization is obliquely signaling they know ex-Witnesses at times argue among themselves. A bit of a stretch - but if any criticism stands out against him it was his appalling ignorance of sound principles of scientific inquiry. In that regard he is - or was - closer to the organization in his modus operandi and hence, the favorable quote in the organization's current publications.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Steve2: the organization is obliquely signaling they know ex-Witnesses at times argue among themselves.

This is good. When you're a JW you aren't allowed to argue or disagree about anything important.

One of the best things about leaving this religion is that you can openly disagree with just about anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit