Awake! Quotes a Well-Known ex-JW Apostate in Support of Their Beliefs!?!

by Oubliette 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

konceptual99, referenced this article on another thread:

Was It Designed? The Inverted Retina

What I thought was curiously odd was that the WTBTS quoted a notable ex-JW and apostate, Jerry Bergman!

“If the pigment epithelium tissue were placed in front of the retina, sight would be seriously compromised,” wrote biologist Jerry Bergman and ophthalmologist Joseph Calkins. - Awake!, January 2011, p. 15

Paul Grundy writes about Bergman on his JWFacts page about mental illness

The following excerpts are summarized quotes from PARADISE POSTPONED ... AND POSTPONED: Why Jehovah's Witnesses Have a High Mental Illness Level. Jerry Bergman has researched and written extensively about Jehovah's Witnesses. As a former Witness his findings may be considered biased, however the reasoning he provides merits consideration.

Strange! No?

Why would they do that?

(You can read Bergman's biography by clicking on the hyperlink on his name in the Awake! quote).

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Isn't Jerry Bergman a psychologist? This is likely a biologist by the same name.
  • blondie
    blondie
    When was that quote or Awake?
  • sir82
    sir82

That is odd - based on a quick Google search, it appears Jerry Bergman the anti-JW author is the same Jerry Bergman who is a prominent creationist.

Undoubtedly sloppy research, yet again, from the "scholars" in the Writing department.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Londo, it's the same guy. Check out his biography.

Blondie, it's the Awake! of January 2011, p. 15. You could have clicked on the link.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Sir82, Bingo! Give the man a prize.
  • under the radar
    under the radar

I just clicked on Bergman's name in the first posting to check out his bio. It's on "creation.com".

Wow. Just wow. I will never understand how such a brilliant and learned man, with his depth of knowledge and experience in many sciences, could ever come to accept the superstitious nonsense of "special creation" as taught by organized religion. It's ming-boggling.

I guess it's similar to when Paul was being questioned by Festus, who finally concluded that Paul's extensive education had driven him mad. Here's one translation's account:

24 And as he thus proceeded with his defense, Festus called out loudly, Paul, you are mad! Your great learning is driving you insane!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Oubliette: Strange! No?
    Why would they do that?
    (You can read Bergman's biography by clicking on the hyperlink on his name in the Awake!quote)

Thank you for posting this information about Jerry Bergman.

I think that Bergman and the WTS are a perfect fit.

Now that I have read Bergman's biography and a few of his articles that he has published, I will no longer be using Bergman as any kind of authority whatsoever, even if I can 'cherry pick' pieces out of his 'anti-JW' articles on mental health.

His writings are extremely biased to the point that they have no value except for the dissemination and perpetuation of cultural beliefs. His only value is as an example of how religious beliefs can influence science to the degree that religion can make the claim that it is based in science - which it is not.

Bergman has lost all credibility with me.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Orphan Crow and UnderTheRadar, I'm not trying to endorse Bergman in any way.

I'm only pointing out that it is odd that a man that is known to be an ex-JW and apostate is quoted by the WTBTS as a reliable source. I never suggested or even implied that he is.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    I'm only pointing out that it is odd that a man that is known to be an ex-JW and apostate is quoted by the WTBTS as a reliable source. I never suggested or even implied that he is.

I know. And I never said you did. I never implied that either.

I offered my opinion on the material you posted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit