...New Study on Vegetarian`s...Not as Healthy as Some may Think...

by OUTLAW 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I'm rather fond of the big stroppy fish we have in our harbour

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

.....and mud crabs....

I used to get them 100m from home. Big buggers. I love NQ

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

About death statistics, one thing is for certain: everyone dies eventually. Both of my grandfathers died of complications from the treatment of cancers. They were 70 and 85 years of age. One grandmother died in her sleep at home from heart failure at 91 years of age. The other is still alive in her 90's but has suffered from Alzheimers for over 15 years.

Of my parent's generation I would have to say that my parents have enjoyed the best health compared to my aunts and uncles. My mother was always conscientious about diet and exercise. Our family enjoyed a wide variety of vegetables, salads, meats, and other home cooked foods. Mom's a good cook! All in all we ate a balanced American style diet, and as children my siblings and I weren't allowed to pick and choose what we would eat off our plates. (To this day, though, I won't touch rutabaga! )

Two of my father's older brothers have died in recent years, one from cancer and the other from heart failure. One other older brother currently has cancer. My father's oldest sister recently had a tumor removed. I'm not sure about her health specifics except that she is obese.

So far as I am aware, everyone from my generation is alive and well. I know of a couple cousins who are obese, but I am not aware of any specific health disabilities.

I know of at least two children in the family who are obese. There may be more since I haven't seen some family in years. It seems to be an early warning sign of things yet to come.

So, what would happen if everyone in my genetically related family went vegan? I imagine most would lose weight. I think life expectancy would increase, especially for the men. I would hope that quality of life would improve too. Ultimately, though, people die. It may still be cancer and heart attack, but at a later age than before. Or there could be other chronic conditions that manifest themselves in the absence of heart disease, arteriosclerosis, and cancer. So, statistically that could be considered an increasing number of illnesses as causes of death, even though overall life expectancy increased.

Dave

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I make a dish using Lamb..

I use only a Virgin Lamb..

The dish is called. "Lack of Ram"..

.............................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• homeschool
    homeschool

So, what would happen if everyone in my genetically related family went vegan? I imagine most would lose weight. I think life expectancy would increase, especially for the men. I would hope that quality of life would improve too. Ultimately, though, people die.good point....I believe we just need to do what feels best to us & live as fully as possible, whatever that means to you. by the way, how was everybodys steaks and burgers and sauteed asparagus last night? My balsamic soaked portabella sandwish was OUTTA THIS World Yummy and I had asparagus from the grill for the first time. It was amazing too.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I think my Vegaterian diet will help me live longer.....dunno about washing it down with a bottle of Vodka though!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Great site Black Sheep.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Black Sheep.."Fish".................Yum!!

Cover a cookie sheet in tin foil/Lay fillet salmon in cookie sheet..

Pour white wine over salmon/season with oinion,garlic,basil,dill,black pepper and seasoned salt..

Cover salmon with tin foil,make a tight seal ..

Cook at 400f for 40-45 min..

Serve with butter and fresh lemon..

Another culinary master piece!!

...........................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    So, what would happen if everyone in my genetically related family went vegan? I imagine most would lose weight.

That is not necessarily correct. It is very easy to eat an unhealthy vegan diet. White flour and sugar are both very tempting vegan foods and margarine is full of stuff that the human race did not consume during their evolution.

I remember years ago a woman on a vege forum complaining that ever since she had gone vegan she had put on x number of pounds every year, despite eating less calories than she had as an omnivore. She had never had a weight problem before this. She was now obese and didn't know what she could do about it. By this time she had developed a psychological aversion to eating flesh, so the obvious answer was never going to be obvious to her.

It doesn't matter how wonderful the dietary advice you are following sounds, you should be prepared to dump it if you are not getting the results your diet guru claims you should.

Cheers

Chris

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Sounds nice Outlaw.

Shame all the salmon are at the opposite end of NZ. I'll buy some at the supermarket and give it a try.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit