...New Study on Vegetarian`s...Not as Healthy as Some may Think...

by OUTLAW 82 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

SYDNEY (AFP) - People who live on vegetarian diets have slightly weaker bones than their meat-eating counterparts, Australian researchers said Thursday.

A joint Australian-Vietnamese study of links between the bones and diet of more than 2,700 people found that vegetarians had bones five percent less dense than meat-eaters, said lead researcher Tuan Nguyen.

The issue was most pronounced in vegans, who excluded all animal products from their diet and whose bones were six percent weaker, Nguyen said.

There was "practically no difference" between the bones of meat-eaters and ovolactovegetarians, who excluded meat and seafood but ate eggs and dairy products, he said.

"The results suggest that vegetarian diets, particularly vegan diets, are associated with lower bone mineral density," Nguyen wrote in the study, which was published Thursday in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."But the magnitude of the association is clinically insignificant," he added.

Nguyen, who is from Sydney's Garvan Institute for Medical Research and collaborated on the project with the Pham Ngoc Thach University of Medicine in Ho Chi Minh City, said the question of whether the lower density bones translated to increased fracture risk was yet to be answered.

"Given the rising number of vegetarians, roughly five percent (of people) in western countries, and the widespread incidence of osteoporosis, the issue is worth resolving," he said.

Article taken from Yahoo News ...........................OUTLAW

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Outlaw, you just reminded me of some flyers I found in my mailbox yesterday, encouraging everyone to give up all animal products because it's allegedly destroying the environment. They took bible verses out of context to "prove" that god will destroy people who eat meat. They used the verse in Leviticus that says not to eat blood, and that blood = meat. They quoted the "holy" writings of a number of other religions as well. Looks like another screwed up cult. Here's their web site. http://www.suprememastertv.com/ . http://www.godsdirectcontact.org/ According to them, almost every illness known to man can be blamed on meat.

I'm going to look up their contact info and write a couple of emails. I'll attach a photo of my freezer full of pork ribs, chicken breasts, and steaks.

W

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

Yes but your a lot less likely to get cancer. I'm not preaching here (I'm a meat eater) but the health benefits are there.

Just wish I could do it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/jul/01/vegetarians-blood-cancer-diet-risk

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Maybe just a little meat along the way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--CU_xLELE&feature=featured

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Finally Free..I was in the Health and Fitness industry for many years..The meat eaters were always healthier than the Vegetarians..

The Borg..I think eating to much meat is bad for you..You need other nutients in your body besides meat..People who eat almost nothing but meat,will eventually become sick..

Cameo-d..A little meat is good..Over indulge and you can expect some nasty results..Just like anything..

............................OUTLAW

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

On a serious note, I think one of the major problems is lack of B-12 in a vegan diet and very little in a vegetarian diet. I do believe we are supposed to be meateaters (in moderation).

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

"Not as healthy as some may think"?

You have one - ONE - study that bases it's conclusion on a 5 to 6 percent difference in bone density? Osteoporosis isn't prevented by eating meat or drinking milk, because if it was, America should have the lowest incidence of this condition in the world by far, and it doesn't.

Why should it matter if some people don't eat meat? Most vegetarians and vegans are just people who exercise their freedom of choice about what they include in their diet. The nutjobs (PETA) are in the minority.

I eat meat about once a month. On top of that I still like to eat too many prepackaged snack foods. My diet isn't perfect, but I do try to base the majority of what I eat on whole plant foods. Since I started at the beginning of this year, I have lost fat weight and gained strength, lowered my blood pressure, improved my aerobic endurance, and just look and feel better. I'm 41 now, and I want to live to be 100! The typical American diet has lead to the premature demise of several in my family because of cancer, congestive heart failure, strokes, and diabetes. These are lifestyle diseases. There are people around the world right now who are reversing arteriosclerosis, and reducing the chance of a heart attack, by adopting a strict vegetarian diet.

So, when I see a "study" quoted that appears to support the meat and dairy industries, I just have to call bullshit. Eat what you want, I don't care, but don't piss into the wind and tell me it's raining.

The China Study

Dave

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning Primitive Dave!..

Osteoporosis isn't prevented by eating meat or drinking milk, ..True enough..A person could eat right and suck back a lot of carbonated drinks..They would still be suseptable to Osteoporosis..

Why should it matter if some people don't eat meat? ..Actually I could care less what people eat..Unless they come to me for advice...............A long time ago I used to get paid for it..

Most vegetarians and vegans are just people who exercise their freedom of choice about what they include in their diet. ..True enough..But..Most of the vegetarians I worked with were sick more often than meat eaters.......Excessive meat eaters can get life threating illness`s..

I eat meat about once a month. On top of that I still like to eat too many prepackaged snack foods. My diet isn't perfect, but I do try to base the majority of what I eat on whole plant foods. Since I started at the beginning of this year, I have lost fat weight and gained strength, lowered my blood pressure, improved my aerobic endurance, and just look and feel better. I'm 41 now, and I want to live to be 100! ..Prepackaged foods are`nt the best for you.......All around though,it sounds like your on your way to being much healthier..

The typical American diet has lead to the premature demise of several in my family because of cancer, congestive heart failure, strokes, and diabetes. These are lifestyle diseases. ..I agree,many diseases are life style diseases..

There are people around the world right now who are reversing arteriosclerosis, and reducing the chance of a heart attack, by adopting a strict vegetarian diet...Also true..But..I believe totally cutting out meat is unhealthy

So, when I see a "study" quoted that appears to support the meat and dairy industries, I just have to call bullshit. Eat what you want, I don't care, but don't piss into the wind and tell me it's raining. ..I can understand your point of veiw............Still..I have no interest in corporations............Just the health of those around me......And ..I have many years experience in looking after peoples health through natural methods..

.....................................OUTLAW

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Outlaw, well said. Here's to your continued good health!

Dave

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

One of the issues is how protein is assimalted, animal protein being assimalted better than palnt, not to mention you ahve ot eat much more palnt protien to get the same amount.

In reagrds to the bone density thing though, that may just have to do with meat eaters generally weight more then veggitarians.

The more you weight, the denser the bones, typically.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit