GB says they are NOT responsible for people acting on their counsel

by LUKEWARM 32 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks to Black Sheep for posting up the thing completely. Para 17 is interesting..

"The program of Bible education provided by the Governing Body might be compared to a school curriculum outlined by a board of education. Although the board is itself not the source of the material being taught, it does set up the curriculum, determine the method of instruction, and issue necessary directives. If anyone flagrantly refuses to live according to the requirements of the institution, creates difficulties for fellow students, or brings disgrace upon the school, he can be expelled. The school authorities have the right to act for the benefit of the students as a whole."

So they liken themselves to Schoolmasters , with the same authority as they would have over the the pupils.. Hmmm, that may be why many have found things more dictatorial than in the past. The flock have been recently told not to be "insubordinate" to the Elders.

But that contradicts the central theme ,that they are not "masters over your faith" They cannot have it both ways...but they do.

I can remember this article. By 1998 I was fading anyway but we all made a joke of the fact that we could not say "The Society says" but of course we knew that that was exactly the situation. You just try debating scripture with a committee and use a verse in a different way to the way The Society has used it !!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Same when certain vaccinations were made compulsory in the 50s:

They still said it was wrong to be vaccinated, but then said that the "Society cannot be held legally responsible" for the results of conscientious refusal to obey the law. (though like alternative service it was still a sin)

HB

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Legal Department intended for that paragraph to be in much finer print... much, much finer print. Something like this:

15 If a Witness makes decisions on the basis of Bible counsel offered by the Governing Body, he does so of his own volition because his own study of the Bible has convinced him that this is the proper course. Each Witness is influenced by God’s own Word to apply sound Scriptural counsel offered by the Governing Body, in full recognition that decisions he makes will affect his personal relationship with God, to whom he is dedicated.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Wow, that hurt my eyes. Can't even see it with my glasses

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Those irresponsible morons!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

If the GB is not responsible for people acting out on their counsel why should any jw follow it and why should any jw be punished for not following it. This makes no sense to me.

Josie

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

***Bumped for any lurkers

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Jesus summed up his commandments by stating to love God with all your heart and mind, and to love one another as I have loved you. He never gave knocking on door much credence, nor did any other apostle present during his ministry. Paul does spectaular outreach but he does endlessquote Matthrew 24:14.

The Witnesses would be correct. We are not automatons. If they issued edicts, sort of like the Roman Catholic Church, that encapsulate teachings and moral code, and let the matter drop. When I was young, Catholics were excommunicated. It was not shunning, though. Since Vatican II, excommunication seems to be extraordinary. The entire NY region applauded when a notorious Mafia boss died and the bishop refused him burial in a Catholic cemetery.

The Witnesses would be correct if there was an arm's length because members and the Society. People who investigate whether you have oral sex with your marriage partner, what God has put together, let no man put asunder, color of shirts, beard or no beard, blood, music, name it. The statement would be accurate of a religion. We know they are a cult and arm's length does not exist. It is not up to us to use our minds to grapple with God. They do know grappling and just order. Shunning obliterates an arm's length relationship.

Legally, they are correct, even for a cult. Issues concerning minors might arise, such as refusal of life saving blood transfusion. I am still in trauma over the control my parents had over my body. Sacrifice yourself. Children are not personal property. I am sorry. They are correct for the U.S. Europeans take a different tack. I have no idea how Asian countries deal with it.

You can be extraordinarily devout and have an arm's length relationship. Being a good German and following orders did not stop war criminals from execution or heavy prison terms. The men who flew into the WTC and Pentagon lost their arms-length relationship. C.S. Lewis pointed out in Mere Christianity that every culture has the same basic moral and legal code. Do not lie, do not murder, do not commit adultery, etc. My mom was expelled for flag salute so I was rah rah religious freedom. I still prefer it but religious freedom does incur heavy casualties.

• clarity
    clarity

There is a psychological phrase for that piece of crap......CRAZY making!!!!!!

You can feel your mind bending as you read it.

16 But if decisions as to conduct are a personal matter, why are some ofJehovah’s Witnesses disfellowshipped? Nobody arbitrarily determines that the practice of a particular sin requires disfellowshipping. Rather, this action is Scripturally required only when a member of the congregation unrepentantly engages in gross sins, such as those enumerated in the 5th chapter of First Corinthians.

Only gross sins eh?

Like independent thinking. For having doubts. For not preaching. For not accepting that 7-12 men are your mediators. For smoking. For celebrating birthdays. .......................................bla bla.

clarity

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Does anyone have a hint that this anonymous Society cares for its own interests and not its members. Jesus cared about people. Someone told me no correspondence from Bethel is signed with a Bethelite name, acting as agent for the Society. All letters are stamped WTBTS. A nameless monolith if true. My perception was that almost no in the field Witnesses knew the power plays at Bethel. Perhaps they could name Knorr, or Franz but not much else. The Governing Body is not transparent. I feel I have a right as a member (if I were a member) to know the policy differences and debates. What issues are important to them. I don't need to know every transaction every place but the basics. Where is the need greatest and according to what criteria.

Withdrawing from the rank and file, far more than the Vatican does now a days, gives many Witnesses a feeling that WTBTS is Godlike, unfathomable. I recall Bob Dylan's line about even the president of the United States must some day stand naked. Witnesses believe in a lot of magic.

The polio vaccine was very scary in my family. My father was not certain what the Society taught. I believe at the time it was not clear. He heard stuff from Bethel that maybe it was wrong. Maybe was wrong took precedence over my dying or being paralyzed by polio. My mom needed his signature on the consent form. She forged it and took us off to the doctor. We were so young. She discussed the imperative for secrecy for us and what the consequences of telling would be. My father refused the Sabin vaccine. There was some concern that he might get polio from us. I recall the fundraising campaigns for polio. Neighbors afflicted. Iron lungs. Yuck. Aluminum was another such story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit