Is There Anything Good About The Jehovah's Witness Religion?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"I like that they do not pass a collection plate.."............Donny

Your right they don`t pass around a collecton plate..It`s too frigg`n small..LOL!!

There are Huge Contribution Box`s at the back of every Kingdom Hall..

You have to walk past them any time you want to go in or out of the Kingdom Hall,or just go to the Bathroom..

If contrbutions have not been sufficient..Money is requested from the stage,at the Kingdom Hall.."Fill them Dam huge box`s up!!"..LOL!!

Assemblys are notorious for being short of money at the end of an Assembly..Jehovah`s Witness`s are invariably asked to give More Money,right from the Assembly Stage!!..

Minimus..No!...................................................OUTLAW

• jeeprube
  • Quentin
    Quentin

Not being one...

• minimus
    minimus

Quentin---

• undercover
    undercover

That question could be asked of most any religion...and the answer would be, yes...there are some good things about [insert religion of choice here].

One can find good in any particular religion, whether it's charitable works or high moral standards or bingo on Saturday night, keeping the old folks entertained.

There's plenty wrong with every religion as well. Whether it's pedophiles in the clergy or bilking money out of those who want to believe or substituting Christ with church leadership in order to control your adherents.

While I have issues with the JW religion, and religion in general, I accept that some people need religion. I look at my mom. She needs her faith in the organization. She actually believes it...and she's happy in it. While I can tear it down and prove all kinds of things against it, if I was able to get through to her, it wouldn't do anything except destroy her happy little world. The Society would continue to exist but she would be dissillusioned and depressed at this late stage in life. It's better to let her worship as she sees fit and die happy in her faith. I'd rather her die in her old age feeling satisfied and faithful than die bitter and disillusioned.

• ATALAYA
    ATALAYA

Yes.The Bible teaches them to respect marriage.
    Their children are trained in right principles.
    The importance of the family is stressed.
    The more individuals and families that Jehovah's Witnesses influence to
    live by Christian principles, the less delinquency, immorality, and crime.

Jehovah's Witnesses try to recommend the good news to others in this way also:
    by being exemplary in the Christian conduct that they recommend to others.

They try to 'do unto others as they would have others do unto them.' (Matthew 7:12 )

They try to be this way with all men, not just with fellow Witnesses, friends, neighbors, or relatives. Being imperfect, they do not always succeed 100 percent.
    But it is the desire of their hearts to do good unto all people not only in telling
    them the good news of the Kingdom but also
    in extending a helping hand whenever possible.— James 2:14-17 .

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

No, nada. There is nothing good about the Jehovah's Witnesses cult.

• JWoods
    JWoods

The above comment about JWs not "being political" is not so, IMHO. This organization is one of the most activist political movements of practically any North American religion. It is almost all about politics, and has been so since the days of Russell.

What other religion made so many anti-government public statements that it got a number of the directors thrown into jail circa WW1? And then claimed that getting them thrown into jail was somehow a fulfillment of bible prophecy??? (after predicting the end of the world just a few years previous)

What other religion makes such a big deal about the flag salute or the national anthem? What other religion has named political enemies as "the beasts of revelation" like they did the League of Nations and the United Nations?

What other religion so famously forced members into prison over the draft? (when they could have easily taken alternative service but were not allowed to do so) - not even the peaceful Mennonites or Quakers have been so adamantly anti-war and anti-government as the WTS.

What other religion forced members to refuse to buy a 25c identity card in Malawi and actually got many imprisoned, beaten, or even killed.

What other religion stubbornly refuses to obey state and city laws about door to door solicitation and actually has gone to court over it a record number of times? What other religion would practically bankrupt itself over literature sales by a stubborn refusal to pay sales taxes?

What other religion has created a shamefully political debate over refusal to accept a blood transfusion or other selected medical treatments?

No wonder people used to call me a Communist when I was a kid going door to door. What else were they going to think about us, given this track record?

• undercover
  • villabolo
    villabolo

Good one Mastodon, if that picture only had sound effects.

As to whether there is any good in the JWs, most other religions or the Bible(s) my response is this. Imagine a gourmet meal cooked by one of the best chefs in the world. Now imagine him pouring some sauce made out of excrement over his dish and serving it to his guests. What do you do? Try to take the "good" with the evil? Try to rinse off the excrement from the rest of the plate in order to salvage whatever is "good" or better yet throw the plate in his face?

Whatever good there is was has been contaminated beyond repair. Therefore the short answer to the question is, so what if there may be some good (in an abstract, intellectual way) in the religion if you end up hugging the toilet after partaking of their spiritual meal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit